Sarnath and its Importance in Buddhism


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
November 25th 2014
Published: November 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Brief overview of Location of Sarnath

Sarnath is the city of Uttar Pradesh. The city is located just on the northeast side of the Varanasi at a distance of the 13 kms. Sarnath is the place, located at the helms of the river Ganges and the Gomati Rivers.

Importance of Sarnath in Buddhism

Sarnath is the city which holds high relevance in Buddhism. It is being said that Lord Buddha attained enlightenment at BodhGaya and went to Sarnath. At Sarnath, Gautama Buddha delivered his sermon. The Deer Park, which is located in Sarnath, is the place where the journey of the Buddhism started. Thus, it can be said that the Sarnath is the first place where the showers of the Teachings of Buddha first came. The Sarnath is the Place where Buddha encountered five of the five men who had been his companions of earlier austerities.

Attractions present in Sarnath

There are several Attractions present in the Sarnath, which can be mentioned as follows:

1.) Dhamekha Stupa: The most conspicuous structure at Sarnath. This Dhamekha Stupa is the place where the Buddha delivered his first sermon. It seems to be a distorted form of Dharma Chakra meaning ‘Turning the wheel of the Dharma’.Dhamekha Stupa is 128 feet high and 93 feet in diameter.

2.) Chaukhandi Stupa: This marks the first impression when the tourists enter Sarnath from Varanasi. This has been supposed to be built during the Gupta Age to mark the site where Lord Buddha and his first disciples met during the travel from BodhGaya to Sarnath.

3.) Asokan Pillar: Huge number of Ashokan Pillars was being carved out in the memory of Buddha among them Asokan Pillar is one of them. The Asokan Pillar Originally erected, surmounted by the ‘Lion Capital of Asokha’. This has been, presently on display at the Sarnath Museum. The base still stands on the spot and will exhibit some really amazing Carvings.

4.) The Monasteries: The Famous Monasteries features the excavated remains of Sammatiya and Vajrayana school of Buddhism where scholars lived, studied and taught. Several Monasteries has been built over the years by the Chinese, Japan, Myanmar, Thailand, and Sri Lankan Buddhists in Sarnath.

5.) Mulagandhakuti Vihara: The Mulagandhakuti Vihara stands as the mark to the place where the Buddha spent his first rainy season in meditation. In the 7th century, a writer described it as 200 feet high and containing 100 niches containing a Buddha carves along each wall. A life-sized statue of Buddha is being shown here showing Buddha turning the wheel of the law.

Sarnath displays the real fine example of the architecture related to the Buddha. With the real great treasures connected to the Buddhism Structures, this place has developed as a major spot for the tourists.

The MahaParinirvana Express Train Tour also features Sarnath during its circuit tour and thus provides a golden opportunity for all the tourists to pay homage to the real structures connected to the Buddhism. For MahaParinirvana Express Train Tour, just visit http://www.ambikatours.com/holiday-packages/mahaparinirvan-express-train-tour-2014-2015/424/ and get the details.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb