Our adventure comes to an end!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 4th 2012
Published: March 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We got up on Saturday and packed up. We kept 2 rooms for late check-out and then headed out for a lovely lunch at Mom Tris, a resort down the road from ours. It was a lovely ending to our holiday...our table overlooked the Adaman Bay and the Katathani resort and we enjoyed the lovely ocean breezes and view. We headed to the airport and bade farewell to our guide, Kom. Jim was with us and we said farewell and many thanks to our wonderful friend. It was so great to spend time with him and to see him so happy. He went to so much work to organize this trip for us, and we are not really sure how we will ever repay him.

We flew to Hong Kong, and said farewell to the Brandts and Walshes, who are heading to California. Then we boarded our flight for the long trip home. I managed to sleep for most of the trip, and watched a good movie for the last couple of hours. Not as bad as I was expecting! Arrived in Vancouver and said farewell to the Browns, Johnstones, and Rathwells, who will be heading back to Saskatchewan tomorrow. We are staying in Vancouver for a few days to enjoy a visit with our daughter and her family.

And so our trip comes to an end. We sometimes referred to it as "The Magical Mystery Tour", as we marveled at all of the wonderful surprises that Jim had for us. It was definitely a trip of a lifetime, and we are all feeling so fortunate to be able to share it with our good friends. Our memories will last us a lifetime...and we have hundreds of pictures and videos to share and to help us relive our experiences for years to come.

Here is a recap of our hotels and transportation - from Feb. 9- Mar. 3, 2012.

 

Hotels



Phuket - Katathani Beach Resort

A welcome drink on arrival. Our rooms are not quite as lavish as we have been used to, but they are quite comfortable. A shower, separate toilet, king bed, and fruit to welcome us. The grounds are lovely, and we enjoyed a few lunches at the beach bar. Our rooms all look out on a pool, and some even have a view of the ocean. Breakfast buffet...not quite as good as some, but still very adequate.



Bangkok - Royal Orchid Sheraton

We have been upgraded to a suite on the 11th floor overlooking the river! Living room with couch, 2 chairs, desk. Large bedroom with dressing room. Two flatscreen tvs. Fruit plate and chocolate elephant to greet us. Flower rings to welcome us, and access to executive lounge on the 27th floor, where we enjoyed breakfast and complimentary drinks and appies.



Chang Mai - RatiLanna Riverside Spa Resort

Absolutely amazing!! Or’s family owns this hotel and we are in the most amazing rooms! Or I should say...suites!! Living room, dining room, large bedroom with huge canopy bed, dressing room, bathroom with soaker tub and fountain. Flat screen tvs - 3 - one in bathroom above the tub, one in bedroom and one in LR. Balcony is huge with lounging couch, hanging swing. Ice in the ice bucket, little cookies beside the bed, gorgeous fresh flowers. Pool area is lovely, with swim-up bar. Staff met us at elevator to show us to our room. Cold towels and welcome drink when we got here.



Siem Reap - Le Meridien Angkor

Lovely room with couch, shutters to bathroom, dressing area, turn-down service, fruit and cookies. Breakfast buffet ok, but not the best. Lunch was very tasty....loved the coconut soup. Lots of wood and natural decor....stones, bamboo, etc. Hanging lanterns in the trees in front of hotel. Outdoor pool with nice chaise lounges and arched waterfall to swim under.



Saigon - Renaissance Riverside Hotel

Very grand lobby, with gorgeous flowers. Chewy candies at the desk. Open area in the centre of the hotel, looking down to 5th floor piano bar. Wonderful breakfast buffet. Corner room with bar area, large bathroom with tub and shower, fruit tray. Fabulous pool area on the 21st floor with excellent mojitos.



Halong Bay - Bhaya Legend

Oriental style with contemporary luxury! Wooden junk boat with 20 cabins, a lovely dining room/bar area, and an upper deck with lounge chairs. Staff greeted us with rose petals falling from upper level, welcome drinks and cold cloths. We all really enjoyed the opportunity to open our cabin windows and sleep with fresh air!



Hanoi - Hilton Hanoi Opera

Fruit and little cakes to welcome us in room, plus a gift wrapped in a red box....a small rickshaw. Lovely Crabtree and Evelyn products in the bathroom.



Hong Kong - Excelsior Hotel

Wonderful view of the harbour. Bottle of wine and fruit to welcome us.

 

Transportation

1. bus - usually 49 passenger so lots of room to spread out! Bus in Bangkok was a bit different...2 doors and the bus boy rode underneath with the luggage. He even had a tv! Most unusual bus...Siem Reap....fancy curtains on the inside and Nemo painted on the outside!

2. ferry - across the harbour in Hong Kong

3. tram car or funicular - in Hong Kong

4. sampan - toured Hong Kong harbour

5. mini vans - used in Phuket

6. rickshaws - Hanoi - for one person, sitting in front while driver pedaled behind

7. buggies - like a golf cart, 6 passenger - in Hanoi

8. wooden junk boat - "Bhaya Legend" - Halong Bay

9. bamboo rowboat - Halong Bay

10. army jeeps - Saigon to Cu Chi tunnels

11. remok - scooter pulling a cart that seats 2 - Siem Reap, Cambodia

12. trishaw - carry one passenger riding in the back - bicycle in front - Chiang Mai

13. elephant - bareback and also on platform - E.L.E - Chiang Mai

14. bamboo raft - Chiang Mai

15. converted traditional rice barge - dinner cruise - Bangkok

16. sky train - Bangkok - cooking participants only

17. tuktuk - scooter pulling a cart that seats 2 - Bangkok

18. long-tailed boat - Maeklong River to bridge over the River Kwai

19. Death railway train - River Kwai bridge to Wang Po station

20. speed boat to James Bond Island

21. rubber canoes into the caves at Phuket

22. tuktuk taxi in Phuket - seat 6, motor driven

23. fishing yacht for the guys at Phuket

24. planes....big and small....12 flights in all to get us to and from Regina

Advertisement



5th March 2012

http://www.phuketferryboats.com/
Hey! I really appreciate your work.Thank you so much for sharing this useful information through your post. I will recommend your post.It seems very interesting.
6th March 2012

Phuket
Hi Jane, I have really enjoyed reading your blog. It sounds as if your week in Phuket was wonderful! Dave & I are so glad that we were able to join the Clun for at least 2 weeks! We had a wonderful time and so many memories! It was well worth it!!!! We met the Johnstones and Browns at the airport and heard about the sun and fun! Hope you're enjoying your visit with the grandchildren. We'll see you back in Regina. Anne

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb