Thailand - 3 girls and island, an elephant and a few too many Bucket drinks


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
October 14th 2011
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Finally updating after a laspe in creativity and writing and so much going on....

Went to Thailand in May - the first vacation in 9 months and the first venture outside of Korea into Asia. Thailand was completely different from Korea. It was green in stark contrast to the bleak black and white of the still winterland. Tropical plants abounded and exotic smells drifted up from the food stands, fragrant flowers and gutters. There was this dynamic contrast between the bejewelled temples of gold and emerald and the rickety falling down houses along the river running though the city. Korea, on the other hand is uniform concrete and neon lights stretching into the distance for the most part. Populated by people who mostly listen to the same music, wear the same clothes and use the same plastic surgen.

I'm going to tell you our brief itinery followed by some great photos. We stayed with my friend Michelle who is a fellow Kiwi I used to work with and landed a job the same day as me in Asia! She was a wonderful host, taking us to Sky Bars where you have the whole of Bangkok lit up to look down upon like you're flying over London in Peter Pan. Wonderful Chaterchut Market where you get lost only to come out clutching a giant gold bhudda that you swear you could fit in your apartment (almost). We also took a boat cruise through the canals of Bangkok and there you can see and visit some impressive temples and well as see the poverty that exists and darelict falling down houses with rotting stilts. In terms of Bangkok I really reccomend the Kings Palace, the boat canal tour, Chatachuk market, walking though the parks and of course the amazing market food and a Sky bar! I really like the energy of this city.

Next we ventured North on the very comfortable night train to Chiangmai where we rode elephants and wandered round this Temple laden city where almost every corner took our breath away. We neglected to take advantage of any of the courses in cooking or thai masage - check it out. I'm definitely studying Thai massage next time.

Then we bussed back overnight to Bangkok (only $12 but not comfortable). We ended up on Khosan road and were able to book a bus and ferry to Koh Chang - Elephant Island. After a MAMMOTH amount of travel we checked into a resort. With three of us it was only $20 each and hey we deserved it! It was beautiful with a pool, amazing buffet breakfasts and we could watch the sunset each night over the water. We spent our time walking round, visiting waterfalls, going to the beach, snorkeling and seeing tropical fish (during a thunderstorm?!) and going to bars which often offered free food when you buy a drink. It was a very chill, beautiful island where the locals are not jaded yet and the foreigners are not too crazy and the type that take the road less obvious.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

little thai dancerslittle thai dancers
little thai dancers

I felt sorry for these guys so sad..


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb