Thai Islands


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
September 15th 2010
Published: September 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in bangkok after a long journey from Siem Reap and decided to stay the night before heading down to the islands in the South. That night we had a chance to have another cheap Pad Thai and had a wonder around, which after seeing so many different places seemed a bit nicer than we had remembered.

The next day we had to hang around waiting for the night bus to take us down to Suratthani. From there we caught the ferry across to the first island which was Koh Samui. Here we stayed in a bungalow hut on the beach which wasn't quite as nice as it sounds but was a cool place to chill out after the journey. We were hoping to do a cooking course here but they turned out to be really expensive but luckily we were able to get a free lesson from a friendly restaurant owner on how to make Tom Yam and Penang Curry.

After 2 days chilling out on the beach in Koh Samui we caught the ferry to the next island of Koh Phangan which is well known for hosting full moon parties on the beach. The town was a bit of a party haven as a result and had the usual bars lining the beach. The beach we stayed at (sunrise beach) was really impressive with white sand and really clear water. On an evening it rained really heavily so there wasn't any partying on the beach and the next full moon party wasn't until we had left so we didn't really miss out on anything.

After a few days we headed to the third island, Koh Tao. This island is known as one of the cheapest and best places in Thailand to do Scuba diving. The main resort was much more laid back than the other islands with the main street lined with diving schools and restaurants. Although the diving was cheap it was still out of our price range so we opted for the cheaper snorkeling option.

The snorkeling trip consisted of being taken by boat to a number of different sites around the island where we could take to the water to see the coral and tropical fish. There were some really impressive fish and we really enjoyed the trip. The last stop off was to an island called Nangyuan Island where we went onto the beach to snorkel in the surrounding coral. We also ventured up the hillside to see the island from above which was breath taking. The snorkeling was really good fun and we cant wait to do some more at the Great Barrier Reef!!

Our Thai visa runs out on the 19th so we're staying in Koh Tao until Friday then are heading to Penang, Malaysia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th September 2010

nice islands
Hey, Great to hear from you. The beaches and sea look very inviting. You sound much more thrilled with this last weeks experiences. Realy pretty sunset ! Now then Andy you once said you didnt want scuba diving lessons for your 21st. how things change ! Lovely to hear you are having fun. Miss you xxxx
15th September 2010

sounds great
Hi you two the pic's look great and the snorkeling sounds great fun wish we were there too. Hope the next place is as lovely, Keep having fun missing you. xx

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb