Thailand- The Land of Smiles!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
March 15th 2007
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bay in Ko Phi PhiBay in Ko Phi PhiBay in Ko Phi Phi

There are two bays in Phi Phi seperated by a thin stretch of land. The sea is nice and warm :)
After we finished KL in Malaysia we got a flight up to Phuket in Thailand. We only stayed the night as it's got a pretty crappy reputation. The next morning we got the ferry over to Ko Phi Phi which was gorgeous, even though it was a bit expensive. We did some scuba diving while we were there and it was amazing. We saw 2 turtles, a lionfish, a jellyfish and even a baby sea horse! The Tsunami isn't immediately obvious until you talk to some of the people there. The girl who took us scuba diving said that she was diving when it happened but she had two friends over from England who were on the mainland. One of them was OK but they have never found her other friend. It's stories like that that really bring the point home.

From Phi Phi we headed east again and visited Krabi, Railay (the rock climbing capital of Thailand) and Ao Nang. We then headed north and caught a ferry to Ko Samui. This was the first place that we really noticed the Old man - Young Thai girl situation. There are some really nice beaches but it could be anywhere
Viewpoint, Ko Phi PhiViewpoint, Ko Phi PhiViewpoint, Ko Phi Phi

You can see how thin the strip of land is between the two bays. You can also imagine the damage the Tsunami must of done to everyone and everything on that tiny strip.
else in the world. It's basically Magaluf/Ibiza which nice beaches and blue seas!

After a couple of nights we were quite happy to head north again and on to Ko Phangan, the home of the infamous full moon party! It was quite an experience. There is a beach in Haad Rin where everyone congregates to on a full moon. There are over ten thousand people, fire dancers, and things going on everywhere. All you need is a few 'buckets' (filled with vodka, redbull, coke or whatever takes your fancy) and you're well away for the night! I'm proud to say we stuck it out and saw the sunrise. Unfortunately I managed to lose my flip flops at some point!

From Ko Phangan it was north again up to Ko Tao which was much smaller and much more chilled out. It is also the scuba diving capital of Thailand. Everyone goes there to learn to dive. Needless to say we did some more diving. We also hired a quad bike and missioned it round the island which was fun!

After a few nights we caught the bus on the mainland and headed north to where we are now.
Reggae Bar, Ko Phi PhiReggae Bar, Ko Phi PhiReggae Bar, Ko Phi Phi

Their is a Boxing ring and foreigners beat each other up for the sake of a free bucket of booze!
Bangkok and the infamous traveller ghetto of Khao San Road. It has been pretty fun but unfortunately we are stuck here waiting for our Indian Visa and can't leave until we get it back! We should get it back tomorrow and then we are going to head across to Cambodia and then North to Laos. We should be heading to Hong Kong around 10th April but asking around it seems like we might struggle to get a flight! We'll wait and see.

That brings everything up to date! I'm sure it will be a while before I add another update seeing Cambodia, Laos and India aren't that well known for being technologically up to date. I might even be home before I get another chance to update the blog!

Anyway, take it easy everyone and I hope you enjoy this update as it has taken me hours!!

Chris and Jim 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The 'Beach', Ko Phi PhiThe 'Beach', Ko Phi Phi
The 'Beach', Ko Phi Phi

This is where 'The Beach' was filmed with Leonardo Di Caprio.
Transport Thai StyleTransport Thai Style
Transport Thai Style

Me hanging on to the back of a Songthaew on the way to Ao Nang
Khao San Road - BangkokKhao San Road - Bangkok
Khao San Road - Bangkok

Street full of shops, travel agents, restaurants, bars and clubs. The infamous Tuk Tuk in the foreground! The drivers only charge 10 Baht (15p) for 2 or 3 hours but then screw you at gem and suit shops! We've avoided them though thankfully.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb