Days 1-5


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Phetchaburi
April 21st 2006
Published: April 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Katie meets a new friend!Katie meets a new friend!Katie meets a new friend!

Health and safety would'nt allow this at home!
I promised my sister, Susan, I would give an honest account of our thoughts and ideas about places we visit so …

Sunday 16th - Thursday 20th April
After a long journey from Belfast to Bangkok then on to Dolphin Bay, not exactly native Thailand, more, “let’s indulge rich western folk”. Car journey air conditioned bliss after the intense hit of hot and humid outside the airport. Road side industry seemed to be predominantly salt production and stalls. Many shacks and decaying temples. Not the bonniest of views but hey, WesterHailes looks pretty bleak too.
We arrived 8pm, had supper and retired to bed. Katie, having slept for the entire 11 hr plane journey, was awake and in bad form. Distraught and dramatic with it. Wanting to go home to Mac. Had never wanted to come etc. Hugh lying tense and worried beside us, dreading the morning. Morning came and a fab swimming pool, new friends to play with, a beach on the doorstep…all is well.
Since then, we have had an indulgent week poolside with a trip to monkey island, elephant village (scary photos to follow), a visit to the night market in HuaHin (fantastic oriental aromas and colours) and cycling locally. Had to negotiate our train to Singapore. Taxi driver went straight to the top officianda thinking Hugh vaguely important. Sadly the said man didn’t know the train times and he was sent to a kiosk like everyone else. Moment of glory lasted all of 5 minutes!
Weather very hot.. Hugh very red after burning bits of his back on first day…..you can picture….the bits he couldn’t reach... Me, I haven’t lain in sun as yet. Too embarrassed to show my now very streaky fake tan. What an attractive pair we make. Katie has abandoned ship and is trying to persuade a lovely couple from Laos and their 2 daughters to adopt her!!
Pretty contrasting living conditions as predicted. Very conscious of how lucky we are and how far from the reality of Thai life this is. Can’t give a true impression of Thai life but on a positive note, hotel run and staffed locally so some income going back into local economy. And the locals seem a lot happier with their lives than the grumpy celts. Maybe the lack of drizzle has something to do with it.
So. Adios for now and will write soon.
MJ H and K xx


Advertisement



24th April 2006

Katie's Holiday
Enjoyed reading your story. We printed out your picture. You seem to be having a super time! We are all back at school looking forward to reading more of your stories. Miss you. Love P.2.
25th April 2006

you're so lucky!
Rory would like to know if Katie was afraid of the elephant?! We thought you looked very happy and had made a new friend! P3 think that you are all very lucky to have been able to go on this wonderful adventure. We'd all like to be with you to help you feed more bananas to the elephants! Scott thinks Thailand must be very warm - he would love to know what the temperature is like - can you help him? Megan would like to know if you are all enjoying yourselves. Charlie would like to know what the food is like? Is it very different to ours? Is it spicy?

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb