Kanchanaburi (16-19 Jul 12)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
July 19th 2012
Published: July 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Finally left Bangkok and headed west to Kanchanaburi, the city (in)famous for its Death Railway, which was built by the Japanese using POW forced labour during WWII. Literally hundreds of thousands of European and Asian labourers perished under the utterly inhumane working conditions, all to realize ambitious Japanese plans to connect Thailand and Burma by rail through otherwise seemingly impenetrable mountainous terrain, as a new transportation link for their war supplies. The Death Railway of course bridges the equally (in)famous River Khwai, whose mention must certainly bring to many a mind images of the movie of the same name.

It was especially poignant to read about the plights of the labourers, and to see for myself the exact location of their efforts, in what must have literally been a living hell. Kanchanaburi today of course is a peaceful city with a relatively small town feel, one that thankfully now evokes more positive vibes, feeding off the bustling tourism generated from its otherwise depressing history. Just outside Kanchanaburi also lay the Erawan National Park and its waterfalls, which I visited and trekked through.

Additionally I should mention meeting Adrian and Ashlie, a couple from Texas doing a long trip too,
Blue Star GuesthouseBlue Star GuesthouseBlue Star Guesthouse

Lovely bamboo bungalow/ huts by the river.
and who were also staying at the same Blue Star Guesthouse as me. Adrian had in fact already been travelling for several years since he graduated from college, and was now introducing Ashlie to long-term travel, starting with the very friendly Land of Smiles. They had also just started their own blog, the very aptly-named www.thebeautifuloccupation.com. The writing is extremely thoughtful, and the pictures very professional (Ashlie is a photographer), so do pay a visit! At least you’ll get to see Kanchanaburi through better lenses than my iPhone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Kanchanaburi War CemeteryKanchanaburi War Cemetery
Kanchanaburi War Cemetery

Donated by the Thai people in honour of the fallen POW forced labourers.
Dear FalangDear Falang
Dear Falang

You've been had!
Jeath War MuseumJeath War Museum
Jeath War Museum

Jam packed with photos, artefacts and writings, even on the ceiling!
Jeath War MuseumJeath War Museum
Jeath War Museum

Somewhat bizarrely, this exhibit on the history of Miss Thailand contestants was on the second floor of the museum!
Come Alone, Gone AloneCome Alone, Gone Alone
Come Alone, Gone Alone

Is the fact, stay calmness...
Clean Toilet!Clean Toilet!
Clean Toilet!

I can vouch for it!
Erawan WaterfallErawan Waterfall
Erawan Waterfall

Water looked extremely inviting but was in reality quite cold and filled with sizeable fish that weren't afraid to nibble at humans!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb