The Bridge over the River Kwai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
April 23rd 2009
Published: April 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On our first day we walked down to the bridge and visited the most random museum I have ever been to, just stuff all over the place! The bridge itself was surrounded by jewellery shops and food vendors, a very bizarre scene considering the massive loss of life. There was a beautiful temple by the world's strangest museum with the most intricate paintings and statues I have ever seen - mind-blowing. From here we wandered back to our hotel and settled down in a bar for some food. Just as were leaving they put on a new film called The war to end all wars and we sat and watched for two hours the story of the bridge and the death railway. To be sitting watching the film where we were was very poignant and it changed my opinion totally of the bridge. When we first walked down there it seemed so sad that so many lives were lost building the railway but then after watching the film the bridge and the railway is testament to the strength and courage of all the men who went through such torment and pain. We decided that we would visit a decent museum and also the allied war cemetery the next day(Claude - You would love it here, I have thought about you since we arrived! I have got you a wicked book all about it!). Followed by a visit to the Buddhist temple that has tame tigers living there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



9th May 2009

Going to make shaggy take me there

Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 85; dbt: 0.1083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb