A Cave, Possible Robbery, and Elepahnt Stampede


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
December 14th 2008
Published: February 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sai Yok National Park, a couple hours outside of Kanchanaburi...

Here is a basic outline of what happened.

We tried to find a cave by ourselves...

Some random boys offered to help, but said we had to pay money...

We refused, of course...

20 min. into our mountain trekking, I realized we were being followed...

I figured they were gonna rob us and hide everything important into my belly pouch (including my SIM card from my camera) hahaa....

Claire and Bonnie remained calm, while I started mentally preparing myself to go Muay Thai on these kids butts, while they tried to rob me...

We find the cave, and are extremely let down because you need a frickin flame torch to see anything (Indian Jones style)...

And realize that we should have paid the boys to come with us...

After an hour of trekking back down the mountain, and dripping full of sweat, we find the boys waiting for us...

It is apparent that they are trying to tell us something very important, but through their broken English we are having a hard time making sense of it...

I am still thinking that they are only here to rob us...

This is what they were mumbling to us in Thai/English:

5 o'clock!...
big... (holding hands up in the air)
dangerous...
(stomping on the floor with their feet)...

and the weirdness continued, until we figured out what they were trying to say....

EVERY EVENING, RIGHT ON THIS PATH THE ELEPHANTS COME STOMPIN ALONG AND CRUSH EVERYTHING IN THEIR PATH!!!!

SOooo moral of the story. The little boys and such were not trying to rob us like I had thought, they were just trying to save the tourists. HAHAHhaaa





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Claire's foot fell through one of Claire's foot fell through one of
Claire's foot fell through one of

those wood pannels... haahahaaa it was kind of funny. Don't worry Claire is ok :)
The morning we left...The morning we left...
The morning we left...

to go to Erawan National Park.
Claire showing us danger!Claire showing us danger!
Claire showing us danger!

This is what happens if you get stepped on by an Elephant :) hahaaa


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb