Back to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
January 28th 2007
Published: January 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunset in LaosSunset in LaosSunset in Laos

Looking across the Mekong while enjoying a Beer Lao
Hi all,
So last we left off we were on our way to Laos. 1 day boat ride down the Mekong, ending in Luang Prabang where we were going to splash out for Sharon's birthday. Well we made it to Laos via 2 bus rides and a stay over in a small town called Chiang Rai. We were ferried over the Mekong to the town of Houay Xai in Laos....a stop over town for anyone who wants to take a boat down the Mekong. We woke up bright and early the next morning and went down to the boat landing to catch our boat only to find out that it was no longer in service! Our only other option was a 2 day boat ride on a slow boat which is not so appealing (not confortable, no food, questionable over night stop) so we quickly changed plans and took the ferry right back to Thailand. I know, we're wimps. Maybe we'll go back to Laos some other time.

Anywho, we had a couple more fun days in Chiang Mai instead. For Sharon's birthday we went about 1 1/2 hours outside of Chiang Mai to an Elephant Conservation Centre with our
Traditional Thai dancingTraditional Thai dancingTraditional Thai dancing

at the untraditional food court in Chiang Mai
driver/guide 'Ping Pong' (we think). Big reggae fan. The highlight was an elephant ride through the jungle around the center. We also stopped off at a local market so Ping Pong could pick up his dinner and there were lots of offerings -- many frogs on sticks and bugs. Seemed to be the local speciality.

From Chiang Mai we flew back to Bangkok and stayed in a different part of town - Sukhumvit and got a different perspective of life in the city. More great food and a day trip out of town to Ayuthaya, an ancient capital of Thailand with amazingly preserved ruins of former temples. Now we're in Kanchanaburi, home of the bridge on the river Kwai.
Did you know that the actual river wasn't really the River Kwai? The Thais only renamed it after the book/movie came out and lots of tourists wanted to visit it.

Next up, we're heading further south to Khao Sok National park for 2 days and a walk in the jungle followed by a week or so at the beaches of Ko Jum and Ko Lipe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Elephants on paradeElephants on parade
Elephants on parade

The elephants and their mahouts on the way to the show ground
Sharon's birthday elephant rideSharon's birthday elephant ride
Sharon's birthday elephant ride

Unfortunately, our elephant wouldn't wear his party hat
AyuthayaAyuthaya
Ayuthaya

The ancient royal capital of Thailand, circa 17th century.
River KwaiRiver Kwai
River Kwai

View from the bridge
Chungkai War CemeteryChungkai War Cemetery
Chungkai War Cemetery

Graves of Allied POWs who died while working on the railway.


29th January 2007

Chuffin' Elephants
I think that you've only actually made it as far as Chester Zoo, one of those Elephants doesn't 'alf look familiar. Photoshopped the rest I reckon. Enjoy the trip and keep the reports coming!

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb