Kanchanaburi


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Arived in Kanchanaburi yesterday. This is the third time i have visted and i still love it, it feels like a trip to a beach as a kid, similar but still exciting. Today I settled in to the Jolly Frog backpacker Hostel. This place is awesome and has great prices and an amzing view of the river. The riverside is just one street with everything you need on it, from laid back cafes to book stores. Compared to bangkok it is much more relaxed while still offering everything that a traveler might need.

There is almost nothing better than sitting down by the River Kwai reading a book and chatting with other travelers. The scenery is gorgeous and as the sun sets the orange hue it cats over the water is almost magical. Kanchanaburi for me represents the best part of the traveller scene in Thailand. Relaxed people and vibes that are in synce with the tranquility of the environment. Just what the doctored ordered ate a hectic couple of days in Bangkok.

I spent the day relaxing down by the river and then went for a walk down towards the temples and War Cemetary. The temples in Kanchanaburi are very distinct from any others I have seen in Asia. They are very colorful with a combination of Chinese and Thai architectual style. They will always be some of my favorite sites to visit. The cemetary is always an emotional occassion, knowing the history behind their sacrifice. However the "Jeath War Cemetary" as it is called is very well maintained and looks like a fitting tribute to fallen Allied soldiers with beautiful fresh flower on every grave.

After I returned to the hostel I met some nice canadian guys and we got talking about the usual travel related stuff. I found it interesting that one of them makes his money by buying handicrafts wholesale in Asia and selling them back in Canada. This is a job I have always found interesting and picked the mans brain for advice. After chilling out down by the dowck we went to a Korean Barbeque down the street, all you can eat for 200 baht...but if there is any food left over they charge you and extra 100 baht. My first time going to one I remember stuffing food in a plastic bag and pocketing it to avoid the extra charges.

Overall I have been enjoying Kanchanaburi and it has been a great place to recharge before going to India.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb