No news, no job, no home, no problem!


Advertisement
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi » Thong Pha Phum
October 30th 2011
Published: October 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

When we left Phuket, we really didn’t know what to expect. We had heard a town called Kanchanaburi was fun, inexpensive and most importantly, not under-water. We left as a group of eight, lost two, and as of today (Saturday) our group has swelled to thirteen of the original thirty-two ATI students. It is really tragic to see the devastation that has hit our new home-away-from-home, as more than ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Rice paddiesRice paddies
Rice paddies

If you look closely, you can see the baby rice shoots sprouting from the flooded field.
Can you guess which part of the bull this is?Can you guess which part of the bull this is?
Can you guess which part of the bull this is?

Or the more pertinent question, do you want to?
Fat BuddhaFat Buddha
Fat Buddha

Here I am trying to make a traditional Buddhist offering
BuddhaBuddha
Buddha

One of the many multi-armed Buddha statues at a random temple complex we found on the back roads. I'm not sure the symbolism behind the image, but I hope to learn.
View from our hotel roomView from our hotel room
View from our hotel room

This is what we see each morning as we leave our $7 a day hotel room.



31st October 2011

Glad you caught up the explanation with the pictures I saw earlier in the week....I'm not sure I would like the caves, but the dragon temple was really neat - almost looks like a theme park ride from the front ! My favorite is the white statue with all the arms.... So strange to see you driving that scooter/bike - you look like a natural. I'm enjoying the warm looking pictures - we've had our second snow - it covered the trees and I guess was pretty - we certainly are at odds over weather! Thank you for the history that goes with the pictures - even though you and Tara are experiencing the same thing, you both have a different take on it and they complete each other. Lucky for all of us, she's taking some fantastic photos. And finally, Tara looks wonderful in the new clothes, but I'm not sure those boxer pants will fly in NY - can you see Dan or Matt wearing them?? hahaha - keep being careful and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you both will get a job!
2nd November 2011

Hi!
Hi mom, I'm sorry to hear about the terrible weather there. Glad you are still enjoying the stories. We are getting better on the motorbike by the day. We took a 40km ride today to some 12th century ruins which were pretty cool. I will write about it later. Supposedly we are supposed to hear about a job by Thursday so I will keep you posted. Talk to you soon.
12th November 2011

7$ a day hotel room
What a good choice of accomodation, from your picture you were staying in V N Guesthouse. The most relaxing place that we stay on our visits to Kanchaburi. Food in V N is about the best value you will get around there. Enjoy your stay and good luck with your job search....
25th November 2011

It's great to see that it's still possible to have the wide eyed experiences that I had too long ago to recall, and that the magic of Thailand is still there for all to experience if they just go a little further. Great blog Dan, I hope Nakhon Sawan gives you as much to enjoy and write about.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb