An eerily quiet Hua Hin


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Hua Hin
February 14th 2017
Published: February 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

It was a public holiday long weekend in Thailand and it seemed that half of Bangkok had taken to the roads leading to the south of the country. Our private taxi proved to be great value as the driver used tricks and tactics, which would make a driving examiner blow his top, to jump to the front of the numerous tailbacks.

We didn't really want to go to Hua Hin again but we were unable to get a room where we wanted further down the coast so we bit the bullet. Our cheap guest house was within easy walking distance of the night market and we weren't sure just how lovely and noisy the area would be. There was no need to worry though, as the Buddhist holiday meant that no alcohol could be served and all the bars, disco and girly alike, were closed for the night. It gave the whole town a peaceful but slightly weird feel.

The night market was a different matter. It continued in full swing and was great to walk around. We had a wonderful fish supper at a very reasonable price. Some of the restaurants were defying the ban on alcohol by wrapping beer bottles in paper. Others just blatantly disregarded it. Needless to say, the place we chose was in full compliance, not that anyone told us until we had ordered everything!

Our impression of Hua Hin was that it had cleaned up is act a bit since our last visit. 5 years is a long time in tourism development. Had the bars been open, we may have felt differently, who knows? We were pleased it was only for one night then we were in a minivan and on our way to a firm favourite spot, Prachuap Kiri Khan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement




Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb