The Next Leg


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Hua Hin
August 26th 2007
Published: September 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Final CallFinal CallFinal Call

Time for the final leg!!
Ricky here - got 10 mins so thought I would add something!

So we got back to our beach front pad at about 4.30am on Sunday morning - or so we believe according to the time of the last picture on our camera!

Having said that, we were up reasonably bright and early and were packed and checked out of the Anantara by about 11.30am. This gave Ricky a chance to take a final walk to the Seven Eleven for some breakfast and drinks for the taxi.

We had been warned that the journey back to Bangkok airport could take up to five hours depending on traffic (you have to go right through the city centre to get to the airport) - so we had booked our cab (a jeep type thing given the amount of luggage we had) for 12 noon. Our driver arrived bang on time. Incidentally, we got the return leg of our journey for 1,000 baht less than the way down - our haggling skills had improved somewhat!

The journey wasn’t too bad at all and, thankfully, we didn’t seem to be too hungover. We were soon back passing through Bangkok (where the
The bus shelterThe bus shelterThe bus shelter

I'm convinced this is nicer than most peoples houses!
heavens opened!) and were safely in the airport in just over three hours. This was a full six hours before our flight, and three hours before check-in opened - my dad would have been impressed!

So we had time for some lunch (no drinking involved!) and headed for check-in, where our fears were confirmed - the girl took one look at our luggage and got her excess baggage book out - we were charged a total of 31,500 baht - I don’t even want to know how much that is in pounds. This was after a substantial reduction (we were initially going to be charged 35,000!!). Anyway - there was nothing we could do about it and had to just cough up - the joys of flying with a budget airline.

The airport is massive - like totally massive. Loads and loads of duty free shops - all which, to me, seemed to be more expensive than Oxford Street!

Our flight wasn’t great to be honest - we were surrounded by the kids from hell - one who screamed and screamed for eight hours and another who continually knocked into my seat - I eventually lost patients and had to ask his mother to keep him in his seat - well, it had been a long day and there was no chance I could have slept otherwise which, in the end, I didn’t anyway!

For all the flight wasn’t great, it was very quick - only eight hours and twenty mins - and the novelty of flying over places like Singapore, Alice Springs and Ayres Rock kinda took the sting out of it all! In no time at all, we were getting ready to land into Melbourne!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

BangkokBangkok
Bangkok

A last view from the taxi
The Bangkok departures boardThe Bangkok departures board
The Bangkok departures board

A bit different from London / Manchester / East Midlands etc!


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.041s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb