Bangkok Fades


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Hua Hin
January 6th 2007
Published: January 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Moving South

Our trip from HuaHin to Trang with be about 12 hours via sleeper train. We get on the train at about 8:45pm this evening and arrive tomorrow morning. We have a 2nd class room with a small bed and light air-con.

We could almost hear the bass thumps of Khao-San Road fading away as we jumped into the second taxi we hailed. The first was closer to the tourist area and tried to charge us double for the trip to the bus station. Upon reaching the station, few ‘farangs’ (tourists) and equally few words printed in the roman alphabet were visible …more challenging but with a little deduction and some friendly Thais, it wasn't too tough to navigate at all. A three hour bus ride later, we got off in Hua Hin.

Hua Hin is a resort town famous for courting the King on holiday. Clean, colorful and crawling with tourists, the town gives way to a long beach hidden by thousands of sun-shielding umbrellas. Within this labyrinth of chairs and people you may hire a sun-chair ($2.50) and/or have lobster on the beach ($6.00 a plate). We opted to head for the long stretches of empty beach between the resorts. Yah, this place is easy on the tourist, but lacking the spice and relative ‘backpack vibe’ of areas off the beaten track. For us, we got great seafood and a nice pamper-fest to help sleep off the 28 hour trip from Spokane. Tonight we take a sleeper-train to the town of Trang…then probably straight to the bus station en route to the island of Koh Lanta. There we stay for a most likely a week or so. This may be where we hire a boat and scuba dive off the coast of the famous Koh Phi Phi.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Hazy MorningHazy Morning
Hazy Morning

Burning off by the afternoon, the haze makes this beack look dreary...But, with 85 degree temps and a cool ocean nearby this is still a tourist's paradise...
Balcony PoseBalcony Pose
Balcony Pose

As you can see, we're still working on the tan...pale farang, hoping not to burn!
All Nations GuesthouseAll Nations Guesthouse
All Nations Guesthouse

By default we splurged on a balcony room.
All Nations Guesthouse2All Nations Guesthouse2
All Nations Guesthouse2

The open air dining area of this guesthouse is inviting. The menu however is a bit small and expensive, so dined mostly at the night markets.
All Nations Guesthouse3All Nations Guesthouse3
All Nations Guesthouse3

View of the balcony and guesthouse building...


6th January 2007

Hola
Hey Kids!! Glad to see you made it there safe and sound, I'm lovin this travel blog business. I arrived back in Costa Rica yesterday and I'm working on getting situated and finding a place to live, very jelous of your beach time :) Have fun scuba diving!!!
6th January 2007

fun
Hey guys, the trip looks just how I pictured it! This blog is set up very cool, I like it and will have to try it should I be able to escape the 9-5 for a couple weeks. Very good text, Heidi must be doing the writing! Make sure to slurge on the beachside bungalow for me. Not much here, snow in Coloardo, will be finishing my basement with Jim next week. Lot's of gigs coming up, am I'm back in school this semester. Yeah, I know, your trip sounds like a lot more fun to me too. Have fun and work on the tan! Jonas

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb