Island Paradise


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
January 11th 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Miami BungalowMiami BungalowMiami Bungalow

From our breakfast table set next to the Miami Beach Bar, signs boast the nightly entertainment including a fire show and happy hour specials... Cocktails or a large Chang cost between $2 and 3 US dollars.
They call it a "sleeper" train and I suppose it's true to an extent. We did sleep a little bit on our way from Hua Hin to Trang. Upon arrival in Trang Chris started to feel the onset of chills and feverish symptoms which would linger under the surface for a few days and emerge in it's full glory days later. A dodgy little meal and continuous rainfall in Trang prompted us to set out for the island of Koh lanta, a noble, relatively unspoiled island reminiscent of the Koh Pangan/Koh Samui days of old. The locals of the island don't want to see it go the way of Phuket/Pataya so we're told. We arrived at the Miami Bungalows and were greeted by the front dest woman who actually recognized Chris (he stayed here 5 years previous). Mong still runs the bar and at first glance not much has changed. Later we learned that his bar was completely destroyed by the sunami of '04 and rebuilt not long after.

Happily settled in our beach side home, afternoon showers, plates of prawns and squid caught daily, and the sounds of island music drifting from Mongs Miami Beachside bar characterize the sights
Beach BungalowBeach BungalowBeach Bungalow

Chris at our front door...just a few feet from Miami, we are staying at the Addy Hut Resort...paying about $10 a night for a beach side room.
and smells of our Ko Lanta experience.

A couple days into our beach stay we decided to hire a motorbike and see a bit of the island and run some errands in the little town. We headed to the far south of the island to check out the waterfall and the elephants. It wasn't the peak time for the waterfall and the trail wasn't well marked, yet we trecked up the stream anyway. Being that it is the dry season the waterfall was nothing more than a falling stream. Still, it was nice to get into the jungle a bit and to see the elephants. The elephants are supported by the rides that people take through the National Park...a virgin rainforest. Heading back on our motorbike, nothing beats the coolish wind blowing back the hair as you weave through coastline vistas and small Thai villages.

The next couple days were filled with characters of mostly Thai and English origin. One Englishman by name of Richard strummed guitar with us. Then out of the blue decided to try to go from the standing position to the lying position in one movement...apparently he'd done this before, but on this particular night he failed miserably bruising his rib in embarassing fashion. Quite a character, he opted for Monkey Brains (a Vietnamese Whiskey which Heidi said was extremely strong and disgusting. Thankfully Chris didn't dabble in the monkey brains) which seemed to numb Richard's reality for awhile. The next morning was another story. Speaking of the next morning, that's when Chris woke up with the lingering feeling that those underlying flu symptoms would surface. And they did...in full painful reality. Chris hadn't felt that combination of head, stomach, gastro, fever......well maybe never. But as nature goes, he finds himself empty of all matter in the stomach and relieved of the fever, just awaitng the opportunity to eat solid foods once again. It'll probably happen right after we leave this little interntet cafe. From hell, to purgatory, to heaven once again.

Tomorrow we will continue to sit on the sand, fill ourselves with Thai delicacies, and maybe attempt to plan our next few days. Thanks to those of posting comments...we hope to respond to you all soon. Much love to all back home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Porch View...Miami Bar and Massage HutPorch View...Miami Bar and Massage Hut
Porch View...Miami Bar and Massage Hut

A few feet out our front door we can sit down and have a Thai massage with the ocean in view.
Simple RoomSimple Room
Simple Room

With the cooler air this time of year, a fan and a cross breeze is all we need to cool us down at night.
Scooter TouringScooter Touring
Scooter Touring

Looking to wander the island we hired a scooter to check out the southern tip of Lanta.
Southern LantaSouthern Lanta
Southern Lanta

Very few people made it to these southern beaches, leaving the beautiful white sand only for us...
Lanta Waterfall TrekLanta Waterfall Trek
Lanta Waterfall Trek

ABout 1 hour South by motorbike, we ate lunch alone at a small home at the base of the Lanta virgin rainforest.
Elephant TrekkingElephant Trekking
Elephant Trekking

Although we opted to hike the short 30 minutes seeking a waterfall view, some come to ride the elephants in a guided tour.
Muggy JungleMuggy Jungle
Muggy Jungle

Although we were drenched in moisture, this is the dry season, so the waterfall amounted to nothing more than a large rock with a small trickle. Here we are as we ended the hike.
Evening MealEvening Meal
Evening Meal

From the view of our dinner table, we watched the sunset while enjoying spicy seafood Thai noodles.
Nightly Fishing BoatsNightly Fishing Boats
Nightly Fishing Boats

Trolling for fresh seafood, these fishermen make their living by beginning their workday at sunset. Bright light shine down in the water attracting the unsuspecting prey.


11th January 2007

Hey guys! Great to hear from you as always and good to see you are having an amazing time. Keep up the travels and the postings even though it stirs a little jealousy... Much love be safe have fun Don and Rowan
11th January 2007

Wish I was there!
I absolutely love this Travel Blog thing! What a great idea! I feel as if I'm there with you two enjoying spectacular sunsets, breath-taking beaches and the islands of beauty! I'm so envious of you! But at least it gives me a nice little break every few days to daydream about my next vacation! Continue to have fun, send pictures and STAY SAFE! Can't wait to hear more! Love- Ash xoxo
11th January 2007

looks beautiful
Great pictures--especially love the beach and ocean shots--take care--keep us posted! Love, mom
13th January 2007

envy
Sounds like you two are having a blast. Hopefully the "bug" doesn't come back to either of you and the rest of your trip is free of intestinal pains. Make sure that you guys stay safe and always be aware of your surroundings. Not everyone in this world has good intentions and there are quite a few that have ill will towards us westerners. Take care and keep in touch.
13th January 2007

HEY! looks like you guys are having a great time!!!...and though i've never met chris....i'm so glad to hear that your "sickness" has nearly passed!!!...it is sooooo beautiful there!!! hope you guys have a wonderful time!!!
14th January 2007

Missing you
I really like the travel blog. It helps me keep track and I can copy it off and show the grandparents. Keep it coming we love to hear from you and how you are doing. I hope Chris is feeling better. Love you both, Mom and Dad Juhlin

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb