Thailand, The Islands


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand
April 25th 2012
Published: July 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok 25.4.2012



Another early morning wakeup call at 5am to get the bus to Bangkok. We were crammed into a mini-bus to the border, not the VIP coache we were expecting. After about an hour of queuing we were back in Thailand with another mini bus waiting to take us to Bangkok, this time just 4 hours, still crammed in like sardines though.



Back to the chaos of Koh San Road! We met up with Gennigan (Finnigan and Genna) and had a catch up over a few beers. Nice to have our own friends. We then went up to the roof top pool for a dip and a few drinks, where we met up with one of Genna’s friends who was also travelling. After a shower we went to a few bars and got on the Chang towers (3 litres of beer) and the shisha pipes. The saying of the night being ‘haven’t seen each other in niiine’ after I havn’t seen Fin in ages and a good excuse to celebrate. After a skin full we found ourselves back at the hotel, on top of a water feature kicking water down into the lobby until the security guard came and spoiled our fun!



26.4.2012



Feeling hung over and on the toilet from the street food the night before, not a great start seen as though we had to get up early and go to the Indian Embassy to apply for our visa. We had to pay nearly 50 pound each for it! Me and Sophie did a bit of shopping before meeting the others for a dip in the pool.



We went out to do a bit more bartering on the streets buying t-shirts and things, before being roped in to going to a ping pong show. The tuk-tuk that took us there was going so fast speeding round the corners we actually feared for our lives. We had to tell to slow down a few times. We paid ten pounds to get in and it was awful, really seedy. As soon as we walked in we wondered what on earth we were doing there. We stayed for about half an hour then had to leave. We won’t go into details…



27.4.2012



Met Fin and Genna for breakfast and checked out of our hotel. We met Genna’s friend again and walked to the Grand Palace. We were told the wrong direction so we ended up walking for about 40 mins in 40 degree heat. It was so hot and we were so sweaty, all of us wearing sweat tashes. To make it worse we had to queue up to be given extra clothing to cover up more to go into the palace. I had to put long pants on as my knees were showing. This made the heat ten times worse.



Fin and Genna paid to go into the palace while we waited in the shade. When they came out we think Fin had acute sun stroke, he had a bright red face and was faint. He had to have a sit down in the shade and take some water on. We went back the hotel for a dip while the girls went for a pampering session. At 6 we got picked up for our night bus down to Krabi. We stocked up on treats and was pleasantly surprised how comfy the bus was. The girl with the dragon tattoo was played and we had a good sleep after a few valium!



28.4.2012



We arrived at Surathani at 6 and had to get a smaller bus to Krabi. We then got a ferry which took an hour and a half over to Koh Phi Phi. Once on the island we found somewhere basic and cheap to stay. We showered and went for some tea. The island seems quite big with a compact village in the middle with narrow streets and plenty of bars. No cars here which is good. After dinner we bought some sangsom buckets and headed for the beach. The sangsom buckets are a half litre of local whiskey a can of coke and red bull. They are cheap and get you wasted so everyone is drinking them. The beach was quite full and had fire shows on. Lads with sticks on fire spinning them round really fast, looks good when there’s a few of them and if they’re good at it. We had a go at the limbo and jumping over a skipping rope that was on fire! Sophie got picked up by a local guy and went under the limbo bar carrying her which was impossibly low. He was horizontal nearly, must be very flexible and extremely strong to do it whilst carrying Sophie! We went to a bar to watch Liverpool beat Norwich 3-0 and had a game of beer pong. Boys v Girls. Me and Fin won resulting in the girls finishing their bucket.



29.4.2012



Only rose out of bed at 1 in the afternoon. We went to a nice beach on the other side of the island that we had to walk to. It took a while as it was pretty rough terrain but the beach was lovely. We had a dip in the warm sea then the heavens opened and we had to run into a restaurant. It didn’t stop raining for hours. We got a boat back to the main pier and had to walk back through the flooded streets to our hotel. It looked like raw sewage what we were walking through! We had a thorough shower and went for tea. Ending with a few drinks in Fin’s room then retiring to bed.



30.4.2012



Our room is a sweat box! Far too hot for a room!



We met Gennigan for breakfast, had a wander round the village then rented kayaks for a couple of hours. We were directed around a peninsula into a small bay with a nice beach on it. On the way, not far from the beach Fin decided he wanted to go for a dip. As he went to get into the water the kayak capsized sending Genna flying into the water too. She was not best pleased. She managed to scramble back on and paddle off leaving Fin quite far out with him having to swim back. We couldn’t stop laughing. We had a swim and a sun bathe on the beach before heading back.



We then met Dave and Zoe! It was so nice to see them. We walked them to the hotel were they broke the news to us. Zoe is pregnant! We are so happy for them and it’s due on the 14th November. We went out for dinner to celebrate and a few drinks (none for Zoe though). After dinner we bumped into Peter the monkey, who was a monkey that you had your picture taken with. With Fin’s middle name being Peter as well, they are now the best of friends. After that we went to the Reggae bar where there is a Thai boxing ring inside. Local and tourists fight there. Fin and Dave drunkenly decided to fight each other. They got all the gear on and went for it. Fin caught Dave on the chin and sent him to the floor. Dave was a bit stunned but not knocked out and the fight was over. On the way home we found a girl who was passed out being sick all over herself, so we came to the rescue. We couldn’t leave her like that so we dragged her to her hostel, fed her lots of water and put her bed. Quite an eventful night really.







1.5.2012



Me and Sophie were up early as couldn’t stand being in the sweatbox any longer. We went for breakfast and a wander, the rest of the gang were yet to show up so I went to get them up. In the afternoon we went on a long tail boat trip around the island and close by islands. We stopped off at a few snorkeling sites and saw lots of nice fish. Fin jumped off the boat and landed on some coral cutting his foot, adding to the blisters and burns he already has on his feet, his feet were a mess.



We then visited Maya Bay where ‘The Beach’ is filmed. It was stunning, high limestone mountains circling the bay with golden sand on the beach. We had a little swim and a sunbathe on the beach then had to head back. The boat was parked on the other side of the island so we had to walk back to it. To enter the water you had to climb down a set of wet wooden steps and a rope ladder then swim to the boat. The waves were crashing against the ladder and steps and was very dangerous. Luckily no-one was hurt.



Back on land we bought some cat food to feed all the cats that were around. Most of them had owners and were grateful for us feeding them. Sophie had little pouches going round feeding them all. I think she misses the cats back home. In the evening we went for a nice meal, some had tapas and Mexican I had a curry that was extremely spicy.



2.5.2012



Travel day today. We decided to leave Koh Phi Phi a day early as Genna didn’t want to travel on her birthday. Just as well really because we didn’t arrive in Koh Pha Nang till 8 in the evening having set off at 10. We got a boat to Krabi then a mini bus to Surathani then another boat to Koh Pha Nang. We had the idea of staying on Koh Samui for the night but decided against it and went straight to Koh Pha Nang.



3.5.2012



We were up early and went for breakfast at the resort. It is so nice. The pool and bar overlook the beach. The restaurant is behind the pool and there is a massage parlour on the beach. We had breakfast on the beach, which was beans on toast and got some beds by the pool. We had a nice relaxing day by the pool.



Being Genna’s Birthday, me and Sophie went out and did some sneaky shopping for some balloons and banners and candles to decorate the table we had booked at Pete’s restaurant. We arranged to meet at 6 and me and Sophie went ahead to decorate the table. It was a nice surprise for her and when we gave her the presents she even got a bit emotional. We had a nice meal and a few drinks.



After the meal we found ourselves playing Thai Bingo! Fin and Genna ended up winning 3 massive teddy’s. We dropped of the teddy’s and got a taxi round to Haad Rin beach for a pre full moon party. We had a few buckets and went to see the place were Zoe stayed when she came 8 years ago. It was still there and it was a tiny room above some mushroom bar. God knows how she found it and why she stayed there for 2 weeks. We had a dance and a few buckets then headed back to save ourselves for the Full Moon Party!



4.5.2012



Another lazy day by the pool. Sophie burnt yesterday so was in the shade all day. We had lunch from by the pool and it was nice. Talk of more baby names and more buttery biscuit base talk (you tube clip which is hilarious).



Early evening we made our way to the Amsterdam bar, where you can watch the sunset. It’s high up into the hills and you have a great view of the island. We had some food and a few drinks and a few smokes. We all tried out our Japanese poses for the camera and got a taxi back the hotel for 10.



Fin, who hired a scooter went the shop on the way back the hotel. We all give him money to get some treats in. He came back with 2 massive bags full of food. Nuts, cakes, chocolate, sweets and more sweets. There was so much food and we made very light work of it only leaving a few packs of sweets. We had a few more drinks and cocktails and called it a night.



5.5.2012



Me and Sophie treated ourselves to a Thai massage on the beach in preparation for the full moon party. We had a relaxing day round the pool getting ready for the night ahead. The hotel put on a free Mexican buffet which everyone stuffed themselves on. It was very nice and had a lot of choice. We then neon painted ourselves up and a few last minute photo’s before getting a taxi out.



We arrived on Haad Rin beach and got straight on the buckets. We had a walk up and down the beach to see what was going on with the usual fire shows and people dancing. We then went to watch Liverpool v Chelsea in the FA Cup final, with sadly Liverpool losing 2-1. After the game we went to Mushroom mountain and had a few more buckets. Sophie and Genna went down this water slide and we dance until the sun came up, with help from something we got from the pharmacist!



Summary – No injuries, no one got anything robbed, we danced till the sun came up, and everyone made it home. SUCCESS!!



Oh and the phrase of the holiday is ‘Good One’ to be said at any possible time.



6.5.2012



Woke up at 2 in the afternoon and felt like death. Sophie felt bruised from all the dancing she had done! We all had lunch together which was a struggle as no one had an appetite. I tried to lay by the pool but had to go back the room for another sleep. We woke for tea which was BBQ night at the hotel. It was our last night together which was sad. We ordered chicken and beef kebabs and prawns. The prawns were very big and tasty.



7.5.2012



Sophie was still hung over and starting with a cold. Just what you want in the baking heat! We gave Zoe a bracelet that we made from shells we found on Bamboo Island in Cambodia and then had to say goodbye to Mave and Zeus. It has been great seeing them and we had such a good time. They gave us some Indian Rupees as well which was very nice of them. Soph went back to bed for a few hours then spent the rest of the day by the pool. We went into town for some street food in the night. Spiral potato on a stick that was fried in oil to make crisps then any flavor you wanted on them. De-lish. More buttery biscuit base comments flying around.



8.5.2012



More goodbyes this morning to Gennigan. We have loved the last few weeks having friends and had so much fun with them. So back to me and Sophie for the last 22 days of our adventures. We sorted out a few bits and bobs in the morning and got the ferry over to Koh Tao. Arrived at our hotel – bit basic for what we had paid but we got roped into it by a salesperson at the dock and are too lazy to find another place. Has a nice swimming pool though. Sophie was feeling sick with a cough and running nose, constantly like a tap. Highly dosed up on paracetamol, we went for a walk to the beach. Went for some food just before the rain came.



9.5.2012



I booked a scuba dive this morning while Sophie stayed in bed. She’s still not feeling very well. I booked a discover scuba dive which is an introduction into scuba. Spent the afternoon by the pool in and out of the sun as it’s so hot. In the evening we went for our last Thai green curry. I watched the replay of the Liverpool game while Sophie had an early night.



10.5.2012



Had our breakfast then lingered around the pool until it was time for me to go scuba diving. Sophie came along on the boat to watch and sunbathe. I had to go through all the safety aspects and what to do in emergency etc. Got kitted up then I was ready to go. Jumped off a platform at the back of the boat then swam to shore on the surface getting used to breathing with our heads under water. We went into the shallow water where we went through some drills if our breathing device came out of mouths or our mask fills up with water. Then we started swimming deeper and deeper through columns of coral and loads of different fish. We went down to 8 meters. While I was under the water Sophie was on top of the water snorkeling. We had a nice day out. In the night we went and watched the sun set with a few beers. Always nice seeing the sun set over the sea and especially as it would be our last in Thailand.



11.5.2012



Time to leave the island’s of Thailand, and head back to Bangkok on an epic journey. We checked out of the hotel and hung round by the pool until it was time to go at 2. We had a taxi booked to take us the port, then a ferry to Surathani, then a night bus to Bangkok. At 1 o’clock I suggested we just checked over our Indian visa receipts and checked if it was ready to be picked up from Bangkok online. As soon as I got the receipts out I saw Mon-Fri collection only. As it is Friday today and we planned to pick our passports up on Saturday and fly to India on Sunday we had no chance of picking up our passports in time for our flight. We totally lost track of days and hadn’t realized it would have been a Saturday when we picked the passports up! Well I had the most stressful hour of our holiday to date. I phoned the Indian Embassy to see what we could do and they said someone else could pick it up if they had a copy of our receipts, photocopy of passport and a letter to say it was ok. The next step was to find someone in Bangkok to go collect our passport. We had a reservation in a Bangkok hotel luckily not far from the embassy. I phoned them and pleaded the receptionist to find someone to go to the embassy for us. We faxed all the details through and hoped for the best. We got to the ferry terminal and I was still pleading with the hotel and they were saying they ‘don’t offer that service’. I said that I would pay who ever went and they said they could see what they could do.



The journey to Bangkok was hell for me. I couldn’t stop worrying about it. We would have had to change 2 flights and our driver for the golden triangle if this plan didn’t pull through. After a sleepless journey we arrived in a Bangkok bus station at 4am in the middle of know where. We then had to get a public bus closer to our hotel. We got dropped off about a mile away from the hotel and as it was 5am the streets were full of lady boys. We ran into maccies to hide from them and got some breakfast.



12.5.2012



We checked into our hotel early which was nice and I asked the receptionist about our passports. She didn’t know what we were talking about and said come back at 12 noon. We went for a few hours sleep and at 11:59 I was at the receptionist asking again. She spoke to a bell boy and he went outside and came back with 2 white envelopes with our passports inside!!! I couldn’t believe it. We were so happy, I hugged the guy and gave him 1000baht for going the embassy and picking them up. We are going to India! To celebrate we went shopping all afternoon and had our last Thai green curry before an early night as up at 3.30 am to get the airport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 34


Advertisement



Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb