Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
April 18th 2012
Published: May 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

18.4.2012

On to Cambodia

Off to Phnom Penh today. After checking out we piled our entire luggage along with everyone else in the group onto the back of a rickshaw. It looked like something of a comedy sketch, the luggage was piled so high, rucksack after rucksack balancing on top of one another! And off he went down the road, dodging scooters, cars and people. Our initial thought was that we were never going to see our luggage again, and how would we explain that to our insurance?! Luckily when we got to the dock to board the boat, all our bags were there waiting for us!

We visited a fish farm on the way to the border; families live in floating houses which have thousands of fish underneath them. We were given a little talk on how they transport the fish, how big they grow and the different type of fish etc. Then onto a local village for a quick stop to see a bit of weaving and the water level marks each year from where the river floods. The biggest floods being in 2000, where the whole village was underwater. All of the houses that board the river are all on stilts. I bought a conical hat what I have been after for ages while Michael made friends with the little kids trying to sell him stale waffles.

We arrived at the Cambodian border 3hours later. Our tour guide took our passports while we had lunch. An hour later we had our visas. 2km down the river we arrived at the passport office checkpoint, at some old, battered, falling down, bamboo pier at a 30% slant – very official looking! Everything went smoothly and we got our stamps, arriving in Phnom Penh at 15.30.

We were greeted by the usual tuk-tuk drivers, who rip you off, but you have no choice but to use them as the bus just drops you off in the middle of know where! We found a guesthouse for $8 being one of the cheaper ones. Once settled we got a tuk-tuk into the center, we walked along the river and found some local food on the street which was really nice as all the cafes and restaurants were really expensive and sold mainly western food. We didn’t really think much of Phnom Penh, bit scruffy and full of prostitutes and annoying tuk-tuk drivers, so we decided to only stay the one nights and get out of there as soon as possible, booking a but the next afternoon!



19.4.2012

Found some breakfast near our hotel then paid a tuk-tuk to take us to the ‘Killing Fields’ aka Choeung Ek Genocidal Center. We spent the whole morning there with an audio guide. It was just one of the 300 sites ‘Killing fields’ in Cambodia where Pol Pot head of the Khmer Rouge sent thousands of intellects and families to their death and the other half to become slaves out in the rice paddies working 15 hours a day, most of them dying from starvation. An estimate of 1.7 million people died at the hands of the Khmer Rouge over a period of 3 ½ years.

It was horrible and really upsetting. Walking around the site you can see the big craters which have been left were graves had been dug and filled with bodies. They used to play loud songs over speakers throughout the night to drown out the screams of the people being murdered. There are still rags and clothing around, stuck in roots or which come to the surface after rain from the victims. Bits of bones and teeth. There is a tree named the ‘killing tree’ where soldiers would swing babies by their legs against it smashing their skulls before dropping them in a grave next to it, while their mothers watched. They did not use guns to shoot people dead as it cost too much, instead they used pick axes and shovels, decapitating at lot of the victims.

They would kill one person because he/she wore glasses or could speak another language, and then proceed to kill every member of their family in case they seeked revenge.

The monument they have built at the killing fields holds all the major bones and skulls of the people who were murdered at Choeung Ek and displayed in order of size, and age.

We didn’t feel like going to the ‘school museum’ as we had been told it’s even more upsetting than the killing fields, as it was where they held the people in prison and tortured them. Displaying all the photos of the Cambodian people who passed through the prison. It’s horrible to think it was only 35 years ago, how did people let this happen, it’s sickening. So many people are still affected in Cambodia, people’s family members murdered. It’s still so raw.

We left Phnom Penh around 14.30; the bus was supposed to take 4 hours but took us 6! As we were on the bus with all the locals, who all get dropped off and picked up every 5 minutes! We were starving and tired by the time we got to Sihnouksville. We searched a few guest houses trying to find the cheapest, the best we got was for $9 which wasn’t the best, but we get the impression it’s like a holiday resort town with western prices! We hunted down some food and also booked a boat tour for the next day.



20.4.2012

We paid $15 for a boat tour of the Islands off Sihanouksville, it included snorkeling and lunch. Our intention was to jump of at Bamboo Island and stay there for a few nights. We got to the Island at 11am after stopping on the way for some snorkeling. We had to be careful of the sea urchins as there was so many and so big. When we got the island we asked for a bungalow and he showed us a wooden shack with a bed and a mosquito net in right on the beach – perfect! We ate our BBQ fish lunch and went for a explore of the island. The guide took us through the trees to the other side of the island. There the beach was much longer and many more bungalows then our side. This looked like the place to be. While we were there we booked a bungalow for the next night. On the way back the guide climbed a massive tree and cut down some huge Jack Fruit. He cut them open and we tried it, a strange taste but very nice. We also had some Cambodian whiskey shots. It was locally made as it came in recycled water bottles. I think it was some sort of rice wine but much stronger. The guide bought it us for $1 a bottle but when we went to buy it they tried to charge us $5. That’s become a common occurance getting charged tourist prices!

By the time we walked back to the side of the island we were staying at, all the day trip boats had gone and we had the whole beach to ourselves! The water was warm, calm, shallow, clean and so nice to be in. It was so quiet and relaxing there. We chilled out there all afternoon collecting all types of beautiful shells and relaxing. Sophie for the first time relaxed in the sea as there was nothing to sting or bite 21her! We decided it was the nicest beach we have been on in the whole of our travelling it was paradise.

After the most relaxing afternoon and evening we went to bed about 8 oclock. Neither of us got any sleep. When they turned the electricity off the fan in our room went off and it was the hottest place in the world. We tried opening the windows and doors but there was no breeze what so ever.



21.4.2012

We made an early morning walk to the other side, with all our luggage it was hard work! We were dripping with sweat by the time we arrived. We checked in and they sent us to the furthest bungalow away! As soon as we got there we dumped our stuff and ran straight the sea to cool off. The bungalow was basic but nice. Right on the beach, with no one on it as it was really quiet at the end of the beach was we were staying. We had breakfast and got a fell for the place. Very chilled out, few hippies there and people who have been there a long time. We met a Norwegian couple in their 70’s and they were so funny. They gave us a few tips on India. We met another couple who were very interesting. An Israeli hippy and a Japenese girl. They had so many stories from traveling and their view on life. They made their own fire on the beach that they were making mint tea on and later cooking fish that he had caught and potatoes and tomatoes on. Which they invited us to eat with them which were lovely. Our afternoon consisted of either sunbathing or swimming in the sea. We showered up and went for tea at the only bar/restaurant. It had a nice feel to it, everyone sat on cushions round small tables. Then these two dogs stated fighting in the bar area growling at everyone and near Sophie. She got upset so we had to leave. On the way back the bungalow we met up with the couple still sat round the fire so we chatted with them till we went to bed.



22.4.2012

We got the boat back to Sihanouksville in the morning then chilled out all day on the internet at a bar. As it was a Sunday we skyped pretty much everone ( David, Cathy, Kate, Laura and Jenny.) After a huge skype session we had some dinner and showered in the toilet in the bar, which we didn’t know if we were allowed to or not. We then got out night night bus to Siem Reap. The bus was actually quite comfy. We had a seat/bed together on the bottom floor, so we made it into a little den and got a bit of sleep, apart from Sophie was hogging most of the space.



23.4.2012

Arrived in Siem Reap and got a tuk tuk to a guest house which is costing us $6 a night – basic. We booked for 2 nights and arranged with the tuk tuk driver to take us to Angkor Wat for sunrise in the morning. When we checked in we slept for a few hours then went for a walk around Siem Reap. Nice city, not to busy and not too much in your face. We looked around the market and bought some souvenirs and bits for us that we needed. It was so hot! You couldn’t walk around for too long, very sweaty and draining. We went to an internet café to sort our Indian Visa forms out as we need to apply for it when back in Bangkok. We went back the room to hide from the heat for a bit then went for tea and had some local Cambodian food.



24.4.2012

Up at 04.30 to get to Angkor Wat for sunrise. We got there about 5.20 and it was just starting to become light. We walked over the big bridge and through a few gates to get to it. Our first impressions weren’t great as some parts had scaffolding around it! When I asked how long it had been like this this they said 2 years! We got a good spot waiting for the sun to come up and took loads of pictures. We managed to get a good angle were you could cut out the scaffolding! When the sun came up we went inside and explored it. Lots of carvings into the sandstone walls and a lot of erosion too. The whole site is very big and beautiful, lots of character and when you used your imagination you could see what it used to be like hundreds of years ago. We then got ort tuk tuk to take us to all the other sights and temples. There were 4 or 5 altogether, all built with different designs. Angkot Thom, Bayon and one in the jungle where massive trees were growing on the roof and round the walls. Showing how old it was and how it must have been abandoned for some reason and later discovered. By 11am we were templed out and it was getting extremely hot. We got our tuk tuk back to the hotel and chilled for the rest of the afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb