The Life of Luxury


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Surat Thani
April 3rd 2006
Published: April 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We signed up for a snorkeling trip to all the different beaches and karst islands near Phi Phi. We saw "The Beach" (From the movie....you know Leonardo di Caprio) but unfortunately it was swarming with tons of people and cost five dollars to go lie on the beach. The actual snorkeling was beautiful and we saw quite a few fish (Dad even saw a shark :S) but there were so many tour boats around, it was like a traffic jam. They also took us to monkey beach where Matt was attacked by a really, really fat monkey with a really bad temper. Fortunately Matt ran fast enough to reach the water before the monkey reached him!

We decided that two days was enough on Phi Phi and we headed to Koh Lanta. The second we got on the boat we were swarmed by touts all trying to get us to stay in their bungalows. Matt and I befriended one of them and listened to Thai reggae on his Ipod for almost the whole ride.

Thanks to a recommendation from friends who visited before, we found fantastic bungalows on Palm Beach with great sunsets and friendly staff. It was owned and run by a Muslim family, and Muslims are very visible throughout the island.

Then, for pretty much the next five days, our lives consisted of eating, sleeping, swimming, lying on the beach, and reading....the perfect life! The only excursions we made away from our paradise was when I signed up for an evening Thai-cooking course with some Irish friends, a motorbike ride to a sea gypsy village, and a full roast beef meal in an English pub....delicious!

Right now we are in the middle of our last leg of travelling (besides the airplane home). We are waiting for our train to Bangkok where we will spend the last few days shopping and then sadly back to school and the old routine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Full roast beef dinner at British pubFull roast beef dinner at British pub
Full roast beef dinner at British pub

Includes Yorkshire puddings! Delicious but not as good as Mom's!


Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb