Phuket & Phi Phi Island.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
October 10th 2005
Published: November 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Combing the beach.Combing the beach.Combing the beach.

First steps on Patong Beach.
Day 1: Arrived in Phuket at 1pm from Kuala Lumpur. Waited ages to get through immigration - apparently they were in the midst of changing their system. Weird how there was no customs check.

Took a minibus/van to Patong Beach where they stopped halfway at a travel agent and we got our accommodation and a trip to Phi Phi Island booked. I noticed we were the only ones who booked anything with them - but then again, the other tourist were probably more prepared. We were just hoping to wing it once we got there!

Spent some time combing the beach at Patong. We noticed a portion of the beach where there were just Caucasian men and their 'lady-boys'. A little bit freaky for me. Sort of a glimpse into a world without women. *shudder*

We stayed at Aloha Villa which was really nice - which turned out to be the only place throughout our whole trip with a tv and phone, actually. It was close to the night scene so we took a walk and had a early night.

Day 2: Day trip to Phi Phi Island. There were some pretty awesome views from the ferry
Lazing in the sun.Lazing in the sun.Lazing in the sun.

Relax, relax, relax. Chairs for rent all along Patong beach.
- I love being surrounded by water; there's a sense of the unknown, and also a reminder of how minute we are.

We stopped at Maya Bay for some snorkelling. Haha. Jess and I don't swim, so snorkelling was quite a huge ask. Anyhow, our tour guide 'Joe' - who seemed to develop a liking to the two of us - strapped a life jacket onto me and kept telling me I won't die.

Oh, okay then. If you say so, Joe.

Let me just say that the boat was in the middle of the sea and that was where we were meant to snorkel. We're talking like 40 metres deep!

Jess and I clung onto the side of the boat for dear life until some guy came with a float and took Jess away from me. Then another non-speaking native took me by the hand and pointed for me to look down at the corals and fishes swimming around us. It was nice! Not much variety of fishes but still, a good experience. I liked my snorkel-guide, he didn't speak a word but I thought he was really sweet.

I actually loved Phi Phi;
Pancake stall.Pancake stall.Pancake stall.

We just had to try everything, banana pancake seems to be popular in Thailand.
in places like Phuket everything seems a tad pretentious, like the whole area wasn't what nature intended. Phi Phi had a certain 'raw-ness' to it which really appealed to me.

Oh, and 7-Eleven is everywhere in Thailand. E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E.

The shallow water stretched pretty far, so you thought you were walking out into the sea but the water just reached up to your ankles/calves for about 100 metres. People were just sprawled in the shallow water everywhere. We saw a guy lying on his stomach with his shorts down, trying to tan his butt. Interesting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Sunnie heaven.Sunnie heaven.
Sunnie heaven.

I practically gasped when we found this shop. Sunnies galore and at AUD$7 a pair! Phwoar.
Phi Phi Lei.Phi Phi Lei.
Phi Phi Lei.

How can you not stand on the deck with this view from the boat??
Ferry dock.Ferry dock.
Ferry dock.

The dock to Phi Phi Island. Simple, what-you-see-is-what-you-get, which really sums up the island. There's a lot of beauty in simplicity sometimes.
Welcome to Phi Phi Island.Welcome to Phi Phi Island.
Welcome to Phi Phi Island.

Boats lined up to greet us.
After the tsunami.After the tsunami.
After the tsunami.

7-Eleven is E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E.
Back to Phuket.Back to Phuket.
Back to Phuket.

I spent the entire trip to and from Phi Phi choosing to sit out on the deck of the ferry rather than on the air-conditioned seats indoors.


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb