Avoca Beach SLSC is at it again - Phuket here we come for the second time!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
April 8th 2008
Published: April 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

2008 Project

In December 2007, Avoca Beach SLSC sponsored four Phuket Lifeguards to visit Avoca Beach to gain experience in the Australian surf and to learn Surf Life Saving the “Aussie” way. The Lifeguards gained invaluable experience during their summer visit and all attained their Bronze Medallion. They have returned to Phuket with wonderful experience and memories and have begun to train their own lifeguards in the skills taught to them whilst in Avoca.

During the Thai Festival of the Waters in April 2008, another Avoca Beach SLSC team will visit Phuket to demonstrate water skills to school children and hold a Surf Life Saving demonstration showcasing the surf sports and skills on the beach and in the water in events such as board paddling, swimming, ski paddling, surf boat rowing, beach sprints and beach flags.

Generous donations of craft and equipment have been made by numerous Surf Clubs and individuals and these have been transported to Patong Beach prior to the arrival of the Avoca Beach team. This equipment will form the basis of the gear necessary to start a surf life saving club in Phuket and will remain in the possession of the Thai people.

Again the project has been supported and endorsed by the Australian-Thailand Institute, Avoca Beach Surf Life Saving Club, Surf Life Saving Australia, Surf Life Saving NSW and Surf Life Saving Central Coast.


The 2008 Team

John Mitchell

John is our Project Manager and a Master Builder. He is a Life Member and Vice President of Avoca Beach Surf Life Saving Club and has been an active member of the surf club for 43 years. John holds Bronze Medallion, Advanced Resuscitation and First Aid certificates and a Level 1 coaching certificate. John has won a number of State and National medals in individual and team events as well as in surf boat rowing.
John has recently built the community a new state of the art surf club. John holds a Centenary of Federation Medal for his organisation of the “Rowing Sturt’s Steps” project which involved the rowing of a surf boat down the Murrumbidgee and Murray Rivers in 1999 and 2001. John is married with six children - his family, including grandchildren, are all members of the surf club.

Alistair (Slim) Peebles

Slim joined Avoca Beach SLSC in 1973 and was an active patrolling member for eighteen years. He was one of the first to gain an IRB Driver’s Bronze. Slim has gained over 14 Surf Life Saving awards and has been Club Captain, Branch Superintendent, Manager of Competition and a Member of the Board of Examiners. Slim is a Life Member of Avoca Beach Surf Lifesaving Club and has recently been granted Life Membership of the Central Coast Branch of Surf Life Saving. Slim has been a successful IRB competitor, Manager of club, branch and state teams touring within Australia and Overseas.


Craig Anderson

Craig has been a member of Avoca Beach Surf Life Saving Club for 18 years. Craig holds his Bronze Medallion, IRB Drivers Licence, Senior First Aid, ARC and Defibrillation awards. He is a Trainer and Assessor and is actively involved with the training of new candidates for their surf awards and certificates. Craig has been a Patrol Captain for 12 years.

Craig is a keen surfer and fisherman and works as a builder and TAFE teacher. He loves Thai food and is keen to foster good relationships with the Thai people to establish the culture of Surf Life Saving in their country.

Karen Douglas

Karen joined Avoca Beach Surf Life Saving Club in 1986 when she gained her Bronze Medallion. Since then Karen has gained a number of awards including ARC, Defibrillator and Spinal Management certificates. Karen has been the First Aid Officer for the club over the last 8 years and is an active Masters’ Competitor in individual surf events as well as surf boat rowing. She can now call herself a true blue “Bronzed Aussie” with a 3rd in the 2008 Australian Championships!
Karen is a local General Practitioner working in the local communities of Avoca Beach and Terrigal. She is actively involved in the promotion of good health and illness prevention and is a member of a national committee for the setting of Quality in Health and Practice Standards and Accreditation for Australian General Practice.


Peter Saint

Peter joined Avoca Beach Surf Club in the 2001 season completing his bronze medallion, silver medallion, Patrol Captain, Senior First Aid, Advanced Resuscitation Certificate, Defibrillation, IRB Driver and Spinal Management courses. Peter competes at masters level in most beach and surf events and also surf boats at a branch and state level. He has held the role of Vice Director of Life Saving at the club for the last three years.
Peter is a sign writer and has 12 years experience in the nursing industry. He is a single dad of one daughter and has lived in Avoca Beach for the past 16 years.

Jane Kirkpatrick

Jane has been an active member of Avoca Surf Lifesaving Club for 6 years. She presently holds her Bronze Medallion and Spinal Management course certificate. She is updated on CPR annually through work.
Jane is a registered nurse, presently working in Immunisation particularly the 1 to 5 year olds. She has past experience in Community, Midwifery and Child Health.
Jane is married to David and has 2 children -Danny and Hannah


David Stalley

David began his career as a composer and sound designer, afterwards completing a degree in visual media production. He is currently creating a documentary on the sport of surf boat rowing. Surf lifesaving culture is very strong in Australia, putting those involved in a position to pass on their knowledge and expertise. David is looking forward to documenting this training program that will teach and encourage Thai Surf Lifesavers to protect and save lives in their own country.


Jessica Barnes

Jess is an U/17 Competitor of Avoca Beach SLSC. She has been an active member for over13 years and has achieved Branch and State Medals through individual and team events, as well as her SRC, Bronze Medallion, and IRB crewman certificate. Jessica is a Year 11 student at St Joseph Catholic College. Jess enjoys being a part of Avoca Beach Surf Club as a competitor, a coach, and a member. Jessica has coached and age-managed nippers for two years after completing her time from U/6 to U/14 as a nipper. Jessica has achieved Nipperette, Junior Competitor of the year, Most Improved Board Paddler, and Junior Club Person of the year. Jessica has been Club Captain of Kincumber Swim Centre and was runner up for Junior Surf Life Saver of the year for the Central Coast. Jessica is today hoping to complete her HSC and continue to become a life member of Avoca Beach Surf Club offering her ability and talent to every aspect of surf life saving with children and older members of the community.


Liam Jackson

Hi Everyone. I am Liam Jackson. I’m 18 years old and have been in Avoca Beach Surf Club for five years and have loved every minute of it. I hold my Bronze medallion, IRB Crewman’s Certificate, ARC and Senior First Aid. I have won medals (including several gold!) at State and Australian Championships.
I live and breathe the beach and like long walks along the beach when the sun is setting.

Aaron Benson

I have been with Avoca Surf Club for 8 years, and still love it as much as I did when I was a nipper. I am a current Sate and Australian medallist. I am a first year apprentice carpenter and work for Matt Mitchell in Avoca Beach.
When the opportunity came up for me to go to Thailand I was a bit apprehensive, as I usually just compete, but I am very excited now about the trip and have no idea of what to expect. I hope that we have lots of fun and educate the Thai people to swim and learn to love the water that they live off as much as we do.


Jack Mitchell

Jack is 19 years old and lives at Avoca Beach. He is a 4th year apprentice carpenter in the family business.
Jack has been a member of the Avoca Beach Surf Club for 14 years and has won 3 Australian gold medals along with a number of state medals in ski paddling. He has also competed for the surf club in IRB racing and holds a bronze medallion.


Abbey Buchal

Abbey is 19 years old and lives at Avoca Beach. Abbey has been a member of Avoca Beach Surf Club for 3 years and has won a state medal in surf boat rowing. She holds a Bronze medallion and basic first aid certificate. Abbey is a qualified personal trainer and currently managing a Virgin Entertainment store.

Matt Anderson

Matt is an apprentice carpenter and a member of ABSLSC since he was a 5 year old nipper. As a nipper Matt loved to compete with his club and has won three state medals. Gaining his bronze medallion and Senior First Aid in 2006 Matt has been rowing surf boats in the U/19s and recently won the Peters Boat Series and the Central Coast Branch carnival. Matt has also won Australian medals in boat rowing in 2008.
Matt plays rugby for Avoca Sharks and is looking forward to the new season with the U/19s.
Having met the Thai Lifeguards on their stay at Avoca Beach, Matt is looking forward to revisiting Phuket and sharing training and competition skills with the boys.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb