Poo Cat


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
October 11th 2005
Published: October 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Youch!!!!!!!Youch!!!!!!!Youch!!!!!!!

enough said
NOTE- I've added some photos to my last entry from Hong Kong! almost missed my flight so didn't have time to post them yesterday.

Arrived in Phuket (it's pronounced poo-ket, but feel free to say it as you like) last night after 2 flights and a full day of travel from Hong Kong. I happened to end up in a swanky mercedes taxi with a driver who turned out to be super friendly and helpful, although at first i was quite skeptical to trust him. he drove me around town till i found an open room. Luckily I was able to find a hotel (albeit not very nice) in town for $15, and slept till dawn when the roosters were crowing outside.

It's 9AM here, and VERY hot/humid. Very excited to FINALLY travel to Ko Phi Phi today. I happen to be in Phuket for the last day of the Vegeratarian festival (hence the hotels being full). This is celebrated by the Chinese Taioist here and is quite lively. Everyone is dressed in white and waiting for the parade to come down their street. I sit in the Internet cafe waiting for their second pass. So there are fireworks
Vegetarian festivalVegetarian festivalVegetarian festival

These are the nine offerings.. more on this when i have more time
everywhere- people lighting them in their hands, some were even thrown into the cafe here! (scared the crap out of me and i jumped out of my chair!!) plus smoke bombs etc. On their are multiple tables covered with the nine offerings for those devout Muslims celebrating this holiday (see first pic).

So when the parade came throught the first time it was in a cloud of grey smoke with fireworks set off like a machine gun being fired for 5 minutes straight. everyone either had their hands over their ears (fortunately i had ear plugs) or held together in a sign of respect. Men dressed in mostly white ran down the street.. some of these performed a ritual earlier this morning where they pierce their cheeks with sharp objects, and were covered in blood (will try to get a picture of them... it was difficult while dodging fireworks, motorcycles, cars and the dragons... haha).

I'm likely to write again in Ko Phi Phi after I get some beach time in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Candy throwerCandy thrower
Candy thrower

A woman on one of the floats driving by throwing candy
Accepting the offeringAccepting the offering
Accepting the offering

That's not ketchup on him


11th October 2005

Vegetarian?
Um... last I check we eat more than just fruit! Did you get any other good stuff! How exciting this celebration looks! really enjoying your stories and picts :)
11th October 2005

YumYum Insanity
There's is something amazing about standing, live, in front of things we only saw in National Geographic magazines growing up, No?
11th October 2005

ewwwwwwwwwww
11th October 2005

All This for Vegetables!
It's nice to see people in that part of the world acknowledge the miracle of food available to eat. Here in the US we take for granted that Wegmans will always be stocked. In Thailand everyone appreciates and understands the work and planning required to get the produce to market. Your pictures are very colorful and dramatic. I wonder how Phuket smells and feels (after the fireworks dissipates). How different are the chairs you sit in, the kinds of cars on the streets, the homes once you leave the main business area? Also, what about the insects? I didn't see any in the pictures? Do any insects annoy you within the city limits? Are they different from Rochestester's insects (bigger, meaner, more crawlers than fliers)? From your blog, I assume the food has been agreeable to you, without any lasting problems. Coninue enjoying the country and people. Have you met any What are their opinions of Thailand and its people?

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb