Patong Beach


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
November 22nd 2006
Published: November 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to Thailand's largest Island, Phuket



Our silkair flight landed safely at Phuket International Airport at 2.05pm today. Thank god, there weren’t long queues at the custom area. In less than 20 minutes, we were out of the airport where our transfer to Patong Beach was waiting for us patiently at the arrival hall. It was another hour before we reached our hotel, Royal Paradise situated amidst the hustle and bustle of the Patong Beach area.


Some of our observations upon arrival:


"Preliminary contact with the local people showed that in terms of friendliness, they were not so forthcoming compared to their Bangkok and Chiang Mai counterparts."


"Years of contacts with tourists enabled many to master the English Language. Most of the signboards in the Patong Area are in English and there are no Thai addresses to speak of in the hotel name cards. The travel guides didn't make a mistake. Phuket, in particular, Patong is the most Un-Thai place in Thailand. You do not need to speak the local language to survive in Patong even though knowing some local phrases in my opinion is good. I had little chances to improve on
my limited Thai vocabulary."


"Close to 90%!o(MISSING)f the tourists were the ang mohs who love the sunny beach and the cheap beers. This made Patong a natural target for Osama."


Every 5 steps you take along the 4km Patong Beach, you are likely to encounter 5 things:

1) An atm machine that dispenses local cash. No atm card? Fret not, a money changer is always next to it.

2) Tour kiosks offering numerous tours to Phang Nga Bay, Phi Phi Island, elephant trekking, snorkeling and what not etc etc.

3) Tuk Tuk drivers touting for businesses to bring you to every corner of Phuket.

4) Come dusk, you may be “invited” for a drink at the numerous bars.

5) Touters offering jet skis and parasailing at the beach. And if you decline, don't be suprise that they question you why. Only when you move away from the beach does the touting stops altogether. It's a pity in my opinion that one cannot enjoy the beautiful beach in peace.



Amidst my observation, Patong Bay is a paradise on its own. Blue, crystal clear waters and fresh breathable air. And it was a bonus that our hotel room offered a panoramic view of the Patong Beach area and the surroundings. And yes, the massage outside the hotel was good & affordable where we soon made new friends in Thailand.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.676s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 78; dbt: 0.5346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb