James Bond Island/Sea Gypsy Village


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phang-Nga
October 27th 2008
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We drove north in Phang Nga and stopped at a pier where Pooh knew there were longboats for hire. They look like long canoes with a canvas tent-like canopy and can hold about 35 people. The weather was threatening that day, and he was able to negotiate four hours of boat time just for the three of us at a price well within our budget. That meant the boat driver would take us anywhere we wanted to go and we had no need to rent a canoe to explore the island nooks and crannies. Again, the Royal Treatment!




The weather actually lent a magnificent drama to our trip that day, even though I was not able to capture it in photos. Shortly into the ride, we began to see many very mysterious, elephant-like limestone formations, rising one hundred feet upwards out of an aquamarine sea! These islands were breathtaking, and each one different in size and shape, some of them with caves that our driver willingly navigated our way through. If you have seen "The Man with a Golden Gun", then you have seen James Bond Island.
We were fascinated with the beach around these cliffs, which
were formed entirely of crushed shells. We were able to follow a trail of hewn stone, to explore the islands on foot and get a closer look at the amazing formations of limestone, which reminded me of elaborate sculpture from a long lost and ancient civilization.


We made a stop at a remarkable village built on stilts, inhabited by the descendants of nomadic tribes of sea faring gypsies who were long ago merchant traders and also said to be pirates. I could have easily spent the whole day there. The primitive market intermingles with their residences, chores, and family life, all on stilts connected to one of the islands. No cars, of course, boats get them around. This floating bazaar consisted of many, many open air shops filled with unique and indescribable objects for barter, lovely fabrics, silk scarves and clothing hanging from overhead, walls and piled on tables and makeshift racks. Wonderful aromas of steaming rice dishes, satays and curries and even a large, stiff tapir lying with his legs up in the air, a small child busily burning off his bristles with a propane torch. Hated to leave!




We also stopped by a monkey training school, and enjoyed their
show. Monkeys can be trained to pick a thousand coconuts a day. Remember that the next time you buy coconut milk!


We packed so much into this day, it's difficult to write about everything. We were sad to leave Phang Nga, as the atmosphere was more like the Thailand we really came to see.


Pooh knew that I wanted to learn how to cook Thai food, so the next evening he brought his family over and I got a REAL cooking lesson from his beautiful wife and her mother. It turned out to be one of our most memorable evenings. I hope I can return the favor someday!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Genuine Sea GypsyGenuine Sea Gypsy
Genuine Sea Gypsy

This gnarly gypsy lady was scooping the brains out of a coconut with some kind of machine.
Exotic caged songbirdExotic caged songbird
Exotic caged songbird

They were everywhere. I would love to have one, too.
Sea Gypsy VillageSea Gypsy Village
Sea Gypsy Village

The large island seems to protect the village from storms.
Adorable babyAdorable baby
Adorable baby

Destined to be a coconut picker! I jealously guard him and want to take him home with me.
Monkey on your back?Monkey on your back?
Monkey on your back?

Dane, showing off again! The crowd loved it.
Kahni helping outKahni helping out
Kahni helping out

I was so grateful that he didn't leap on my head or bite me. (Or worse.)
My name is "Deth"My name is "Deth"
My name is "Deth"

Not a happy monkey, but it beats picking coconuts all your life.
Leaving Phang NgaLeaving Phang Nga
Leaving Phang Nga

We stopped on the bridge back to Phuket and shared a tranquil, twilight moment
The Pooh familyThe Pooh family
The Pooh family

Mrs. Pooh, Pooh, Win and baby Pooh
Win and meWin and me
Win and me

Hugs and being in the kitchen transcend the need for a common language!
All the ingredientsAll the ingredients
All the ingredients

You can find all of this stuff at their 7/11, but probably not ours.
From our balconyFrom our balcony
From our balcony

We almost missed this sunset as we were so busy with all the cooking.


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb