A DAY OF REST, A MIDNIGHT SWIM


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phang-Nga
October 27th 2008
Published: October 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lonely lagoonLonely lagoonLonely lagoon

We saw what the wetlands and completely undeveloped land looked like. Luckily the jungle was not too dense, but very steamy.
We got curious about the jungle next door and who might live there. We had a "day off" today, so we walked south along the beach a few minutes and met Bob, a retired time share salesman who was building a "5 star campground". So far, Bob has spent 3 days hauling a driftwood log onto the beach and has succeeded in making a nice bench. He has also outlined a campsite in driftwood. When we met him, he was pounding a hook into a tree to hold a hammock, but seemed so happy for some company.
I think I knew it was NOT wise to get directions from "Bob" on how to "cut through the jungle to the main road", but we really had no other plans and were up for some adventure. We did see a lot of great scenery, more than anticipated. We soon found out that it's very easy to completely lose all sense of direction and orientation in a jungle, and that after several hours, things start to look kind of the same. The buzzing and the throbbing of wildlife become very amplified after a while and you notice noises you never noticed before! ( NOTE
Shrines abound like mailboxesShrines abound like mailboxesShrines abound like mailboxes

After hiking for quite some time, we finally do see a hint of civilization. The residence is just behind this shrine.
to self: Bob is not a reliable source of info.)

Another time, we would take a guide and bicycles around the outskirts of the hotel and it really was much more fun, we saw more and got back exactly at sunset, just on schedule.


Finally back at the hotel, we swam and played to our hearts content, and even had a most romantic midnight swim. Okay, well, maybe it was about nine o'clock.
The next day, we met Pooh and drove off the island of Phuket, over the bridge and up to Phang Nga where he grew up. His mom and dad had been fishermen up there and he knew the area well. His love of Phang Nga was obvious and we grew to love it instantly, with its captivating mountains that all look something like enormous elephants from one angle or another. We got to explore many of his favorite secret places that many tourists never get to see. continued...


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Our favorite beach treeOur favorite beach tree
Our favorite beach tree

If you look carefully you will see a person-sized hole in the trunk of this tree
Plant envyPlant envy
Plant envy

I want ALL of these plants and planters to come home and live with me in California.
Cool place for lunchCool place for lunch
Cool place for lunch

This is a swim-up bar and lunch restaurant with a waterfall flowing just off the roof.
Big bubbles; no troubles!Big bubbles; no troubles!
Big bubbles; no troubles!

Dane relaxes in one of the many spa style hydrotherapy beds with bubbly built-in lounge chairs.
Yes, I DID swim!Yes, I DID swim!
Yes, I DID swim!

In seven years, Dane has never seen me swim. But here, we came back to this same spot for some night time fun and dancing in the pool to music no one but we two could hear.
Any excuse to relax.Any excuse to relax.
Any excuse to relax.

Okay, I think I took a Yogilates class and really deserve this rest.
Blue door to nowhereBlue door to nowhere
Blue door to nowhere

A gigantic door does not have to explain why it opens to nothing and leads to nowhere. It simply is.
Tomorrow is another oneTomorrow is another one
Tomorrow is another one

The grounds were just as gorgeous in evening as they were during the day, in fact, it was like walking through a dream.
Cave templeCave temple
Cave temple

Pooh takes us to a monkey temple near his hometown in Phang Nga city.
Cavernous!Cavernous!
Cavernous!

Amazing how expansive this cave is and how huge the stalagtites are. Fun and a little scary to explore
Bats in the belfryBats in the belfry
Bats in the belfry

Yes, those black dots on the ceiling are bats, so I guess that strange smell would be...
Monks and monkeysMonks and monkeys
Monks and monkeys

Lovely handmade handrail and hewn steps from the lower part of the cave up to some nice fresh air
No photos allowedNo photos allowed
No photos allowed

But too late! I already took the picture. The monks were not overly concerned, and the monkeys, not at all.
Ya gotta love 'em,Ya gotta love 'em,
Ya gotta love 'em,

They are so weird and naughty. Their expressions say so much more than words!
A little thief!!A little thief!!
A little thief!!

AS you can see, he has stolen Dane's bag of peanuts and is uninterested in the banana. I decided against trying to "trade" him in case he decided to bite me.
Touristy but funTouristy but fun
Touristy but fun

The requisite elephant ride through a pretend jungle river at a well fabricated, "typical" Thai village.
A fifteen minute ride...A fifteen minute ride...
A fifteen minute ride...

became way longer, as our elephant would stop each five steps and beg for a treat. He would also "growl" as the driver hacked away at him, making us feel as though we were sitting on top of a volcano.
Does this make your nose hurt?Does this make your nose hurt?
Does this make your nose hurt?

Poor thing! But he or she seems completely relaxed and peaceful. I wonder if this is why the milk tastes kind of strange here?
Oxen and caratOxen and carat
Oxen and carat

Both people and animals are quite patient and laid back here and most of the countryside, as far as we could tell.


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb