AND THEN THE MONSOON CAME


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Yao
September 16th 2010
Published: September 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post


September 15, 2010.

At about 1 in the morning, we both are awakened to torrential rain. I mean it is coming down so hard, you think we might float a way. We have experienced rain while here, but nothing like this. We were beginning to believe that the monsoon was a myth. But it is not, it came in the night, and it came with a fury. It poured for a good two hours, the occasional roar of the thunder would over power the noise of the rain. Then as suddenly as it came, it went. We returned to our slumber, only to be roused by round 2 of the Southwest Monsoon. The rain came straight down, no wind another two hours of solid rain, and again it suddenly just stopped, no gradually change to a sprinkle, just stopped.

When we woke up this morning I have expected to see our bungalow flooded, but it was as dry as when we went to bed. Having no set plans other than another attempt at Kayaking, this time a double kayak, we were not too concerned with the state of the day’s weather. At the moment it was sunny with scatter clouds, just like any other day in paradise. We headed for breakfast; our kayak would arrive at 10. My chest congestion, while it had not worsened, the cough had changed and my chest was slightly heavier. We decided to change our plans and put off kayaking until tomorrow and take a 4 hour tuk tuk ride around the island, with a stop at a store to buy some type of decongestion. First, we stopped by the spa, to make an appointment for tomorrow for some more foot treatments; while we were there we asked if they had any type of herbal tea for chest congestion. Even with the language barrier, they understood and produced a bottle full of a dark brown powder. One of the women quickly made some tea with it and told me to drink it down. I actually felt better in less than a minute. It tasted awful, but then anything that works usually does. We have no idea what the powder is or it contains, it just works, and I go back at three for another dose.

Our tuk tuk was to arrive at 1, it was then 10:30, we swam and lay by the pool then began another game of bocce ball. In the middle, the monsoon returned. It proceeded to rain for another 2 hours. We cancelled the tuk tuk and opted to spend the day in our room, reading, relaxing, etc. Even in paradise the rain must come, without it there would be no beauty, no flora, no fauna. It is paradise with rain or with sun and we soon must leave our tiny bit of paradise and return to Bangkok, and then alas back to our Portland. Waiting in Portland is school for Jerry, work for me, and a very angry cat for both of us.

It Could be Oregon

The rain did not let up the entire day, but it was really fine it gave me a chance to rest and hopefully beat my chest cold and Jerry just relaxed. At about 3 we did head to the bar and spa so I could get another elixir of Thai herbs. Tea made me another batch and then came to the bar and gave me the bottle to take back to my room, so I could have another does before bed. We sat in the bar, had a light snack of chicken satay, (Satay Gai) and read, looked for a hotel for our final night in Bangkok and had some wine. We then returned to the room showered and got ready for the Managers cocktail reception. An hour of free drinks and spring rolls. The drink of the evening was a blue Hawaii. We had the pleasure of sitting right in front of a screaming child, if there is really an adult haven it should be a bar. We then decided to have dinner early, as did every couple there that did not have children; I believe we were not the only ones that wanted to enjoy our dinner without the screams and pounding of children.

It rain all through cocktail hour and dinner, it really didn’t stop at all until we walked back to our room after dinner. It was not a down pour, but more like the constant winter rain of Oregon, with one exception it was still 80 degrees.

Dinner this evening was yet another attempt to sweat out the chest cold. We started with Thod Mun Goong (Deep fried marinated minced prawns); I had Tom Kha Gai and asked them to make it spicy. Jerry had Mee Loeng Phad Ki-Moa (Stir-fried egg noodle with prawns and spicy basil leaves. I had Massaman Curry with Chicken. The spicyness did cause me to sweat.

After dinner we returned to our bungalow, I had my final Thai herbal tea concotion and was in bed by 8:30. I did sleep very well. I put in ear plugs just in case the monsoon returned in the night.

Tomorrow is our last day here and then back to Bangkok. If you ever get the opportunity to come to Thailand, you must make this place a stop on your itinerary. The prices during the raining season are much cheaper than any place in Hawaii. This goes on my highly recommend list.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.407s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb