Ko Tao...the beach at last! 14.08.12 - 17.08.12


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
September 2nd 2012
Published: September 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Following all the city living we were more than ready for some relaxing beach time on arrival at Ko Tao. It didn't disappoint! Ko Tao is grouped with Ko Phangan and Ko Samui on the gulf coast of Tailand. It is the smallest island and has a reputation as a sleepy diving island. We had managed to book ahead and when we arrived there we had a lovely basic little bungalow just off the beach. However before we could move in, James had to dispose of a large praying mantis and hide from a huge lizard.

There is not masses to tell about are time in Ko Tao really, we spent 3 nights there in total. The beach was beautiful and despite being quite busy in all the hotels it was still possible to find your own space. The days were whiled away lying in the sun, reading sunbathing, playing a bit of bad volleyball, awful I know!!

Most of the accommodation is based down one coast in Koh Tao and there is a beach path going all the way along the two main beaches which you can walk in 10 minutes. This is lined with bars and restaurants and shops.

On the nights the beach front comes alive with bars on the sand and crazy fireshows by the water. We managed to score nearly all our drinks for free on a night and met some nice people. The people were generally nice and not so many groups of public school kids on holiday as some places, so always a bonus!

Neither of us really fancied (or could afford) diving, which is what most people come to do. So the last day in Ko Tao we walked across the middle of the island, up and down a very steep bank, the kind that the scooters couldn’t manage, to a small quiet beach on the other side. Here we hired snorkels and had our first real snorkeling experience! Having both just messed around with snorkels in holiday resorts when we were kids we had written it off as not much fun, stupidly! As soon as we got in the water we were surrounded by blue stripey fish. The colours were amazing and we had a fantastic time.

All in all we had a great time on Ko Tao, it’s a beautiful island with a laid back vibe which is definitely more to our taste than some of the other resorts. I would recommend it to anyone.

After 3 nights we got a ferry over to Ko Phangan, without really questioning why it was cheaper we elected for the cheapest ferry between the two islands, which is about 1 ½ hours. At the time we were both not feeling our best, perhaps due to the early morning, perhaps due to the free Thai rum? How bad could a ferry be I hear you asking? Pretty flipping bad! When the boat finally turned up, nearly 1 hour late, we all walked down a barely there jetty to get on. There then turned out to be about twice as many passengers as seats, people sat all the way round the sides and all over the luggage. We tried upstairs for some air, which was unsuccessful and somehow both made it safe and sound and without any sickness to Ko Phangan!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb