SCUBBBBAAAAA


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
April 18th 2006
Published: April 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We're in KOH TAO... Okay... so we werrrre in Koh Tao.

We arrived in Koh Tao on the 17th... by boat (fancy boat actually... by mistake!). But anyways, we got there, and were bombarded by people with pamphlets, advertising their dive schools and resorts on the island. Koh Tao is kinda like a ski resort... but for scuba diving! So most of the "resorts" are geared towards scuba divers... which was awesome for us. We planned to do our PADI Open Water Scuba course, and Koh Tao is supposed to be one of the cheapest and best places in the world to dive. RAD!

So we picked this place with a really nice pamphlet called "Ban's"... twas huge. It was on Sairee Beach, which is a gorrrrrrgeous long white sand beach with lots of palm trees and nice green water! It had quite a fancy garden, a pool for teaching the scuba basics, a restaurant, a shop, classrooms... and a whooole range of different rooms and bungalows. Lucky us... we managed to snag the last beach bungalow... right on the shore... so that at high tide, the ocean was underneath us! There were only a few of those - made in the 70's... before there were laws about building on the beach. awesome... Koh Tao's beaches were a bit prettier than those of Koh Phagnan, but it didn't quite have the same awesome vibe. But it was still awesome.

So, our dive course was soooo fun! So worth the money. An realllllly cool, very different experience. The instructors were great (we had an Irish dude and a French girl), and we had a cool class, and ended up hanging out with some of the people from it during that week. We started with theory and a movie, some in-pool lessons, and then had four wicked dives on the last two days of the course. The dives were AMAZING!!!! Sooooo many crazy, colourful fish evvvverywhere! Tons of coral... you could swim right through caves and schools of fish, and fight with them, also. Yep... Evan provoked a trigger-fish. He just bit at his flippers. It was a totally crazy feeling, being underwater, totally devoid of gravity... the equipment felt super-light, and luckily, our ears didn't bother us at all... we could do somersaults, float upside down... it was realllllllly CRAZY! and so much fun... an incredible feeling... Also cool was doing the "James Bond Flip" into the water. We felt rad.

After the course and all our dives were over (yes, we passed the test! math included!!!), our room rates tripled, so we moved down to the South side of the Island... Koh Tao's a pretty pricey place to be when you're done diving... but we found some wicked barbecue spots, a great bakery, and a place called the "coffee boat" which made the spiciest curries ever! We spent a few days chilling there, swimming, hiking, eating, etc. etc. with our pal Fred and two English gals. It was great... Evan caught a gecko... but the time came for us to gooooo....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



18th April 2006

so what
ttttttttttttttttt you want to go to sleep ??????????????
26th April 2006

EH YO
Whats goin on? No pictures.......? Ah, hope your still gettin er done on the other side of the world. It's crazy how time flys when your out on your own havin fun in a foriegn place. Best of luck, keep er real and I'll see ya soon, we'll have a fatty jam forsure and exchange some pics and vids....... Peace and Love Haha
28th April 2006

Koh Tao
I can now certainly appreciate why you have not had time to update your blog - way too busy doing much more exciting things! Congratulations on passing your dive course, I bet the underwater life was amazing and the pictures of these beaches and beautiful sunset are not too bad either. It sounds as if you are both well rested for the next leg of your incredible journey. missing you guys - Take care MOM

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb