Tonsai Beach.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
April 25th 2006
Published: April 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sooo... we ended up taking the night ferry from koh tao to Surat Thani... The sleeping arrangements were a little squishhhhed. We all slept on these thai-sized foam mattresses on the floor... Needless to say, we got to know our neighbor's sleeping habits a bit too well. From Surat Thani, we grabbed a bus to Krabi Town, which dropped us of kinda in the middle of nowhere... it was sort of like if you asked somene to drive you to Dundas, and they dropped you off on the QEW. That was rrrrrrrad... So eventually, we dodged some dodgy boat drivers, got on a Songtaew (truck taxi type thinger), then got on a boat, and headed to Tonsai Beach. Last time we were in Bangkok, a dude reccomended it to us... sounded great, so off we went... and it was GORGEOUS!!! These crazy limestone cliffs kind of enclosed the beach, which was small, chilled out, and awesome. Tonsai is a beach just a hike through the rocks away from the resort-y Railey Beach. Not a lot of people there... verrrrrrrrry chilled out. There were mostly loafers, hippies, and insane rock climbers (apparently the cliffs make for some awesome chalenges). Also, funny thing... the beach is entirely owned and run by the thai mob. Righty-o!..

Tonsai was such a rad place... there were a few bungalows, a few climb shops, like 3 restaurant type things (which never realy wanted to serve anyone, and also never had anything on the menu!... hhaha), ad a great beeeeeeeeaaaaachhh!!!! Our bungalows had a few rat holes, no electricity till 6:30, and sometimes running water.... but they were right in the jungle, with a great view of the cliffs and some palm treeeees, of course!!! Love the palm trees!!!! Most people there had been for weeks, faling in love with the place. Defenitely one of the most chilled-out, drmatically gorgeous places we've seen. Soooo... we basically hung out on the beach, ate curry, fruit salads, and onion rings, met some cool people, hiked a tad, swam... and that was our time there!

Soooo... We grabbbed a boat to the shore (no road access) early one morning, headed for Bangkok... our third and last round there!!!! India's so soooon... We eventually got to the bus station, where we spent a good 5 hours waiting for a bus with a dude we met from Alberta, who is actually our age! Wahoo!!!! On the nightbus, the aircon was brutal, as per usuallll... but we did get to watch "Stealth". Excellennnnt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

TonsaiiiiiTonsaiiiii
Tonsaiiiii

this shot was taken at night with a 15 second exposure, soo all the light is moon light and other residual light...nifty


2nd May 2006

Tonsai
Stunning pictures - it must be very hard to leave. Love the accommodations on the overnight ferry! I'm sure you guys could easily write a book about the many idiosynchratic means of transport you have encountered on your travels. Take care!

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb