the sketchy tuktuk drivers strike agaiiin - aaaaah!!!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 29th 2006
Published: April 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ze bussss arrived in Bangkok at like 5 am. Luckily, Khao San road doesn't sleep much, so Rob, and us, sat for a while and had an early brekky of Nescafe, gummi bears, french fries,and cornettos. We saw Erin from Chiang Mai, which was rad. Interesting things go on at 5 am in Khao San... some Brit dude had a bit of a qualm with a ladyboy... he was a tad drunk, and ended up getting into a fight with the thai police. Bad idea! He got taisered, went back for more, then got beaten with lead pipes! And still, he wanted to fight the ladyboy group/police. So, eventually, quite bloody and still quite drunk, he quit, and asked us for a lighter. Never mind the giant wounds in his arm! So that was our morning...

We wanted to get the sights in that day, so after getting a guesthouse (the ladies there remembered us, and we were congradulated on our amazingly awesome tans), we started walking to the palace. We met a thai guy along the way who told us it was a holiday, and so government tutuks were cheap! So we got one, and he took us to
sarah and evan on golden mountain... sarah and evan on golden mountain... sarah and evan on golden mountain...

it was SO HOT and we weren't allowed shoes. made for some very burnt feet.
a few buddhas and temples before, once again, we were taken to a Tailor Shop. Gahhhhhh! We agreed - too tired to say no... but the tailors at this place were horrific. After throwing out a bunch of rude comments and lies, and just totally being creeps, our 10 minutes was up, and we got back in the tuktuk for some more sightseeing. Some guy at a temple tried to get us to fall for the "gem scam" (tourists agree to buy lots of "valuable" gems to resell at home and get very, very rich!). After that, we drove for a while, and thennnn our driver told us we had to go to annnother tailor shop! Sheesh. Okay - that was it. We said no, quite firmly. So, he fought with us, told us we had to, etc. etc. But that wasn't what we agreed to pay for. Anyways, he ended up leavig us stranded somewhere in the middle of Bangkok. At least we got to see a few cool things before that! The Giant Buddha, some Wat, ad this giant golden temple with an amazing city view. Bangkok is HUGE!!! 60 milllllion people. A frikin huge city. Anyways, most
that giant reclining buddha and ussss...that giant reclining buddha and ussss...that giant reclining buddha and ussss...

we had to wait a looong time before all the indian tourists passed through to get this shot. wow.
Thais are nice/helpful, and so are other travellers, so eventually we found our way through the lumber streets and the gun streets (hmmm) to Wat Pho... It was a huge, amazingly ornate complex, full of temples, chedis, buddhas, and that kinda stuff. Saw that cool reclining Buddha that everyone had photos of!..nto to mention its the size of 3 city busses Twas rad. Met a cool couple, also. The emerad buddha was closed. Bah!

Today, we woke up early to head for the insanity that is called the Weekend Market. Met some former Canadians living in Thailand (teaching!). The market was awesome... tons of neat stuff... but super crowded, hot, and crazy. Great food there! We bought some rad buddhas, then got a tad sick of the place, and hopped on the skytrain!!!! Now that was cool! Ummm... have we mentioned that BAngkok is HUGE??? Well.. it is. Went to MBK mall for some air-con and coffee (real coffee!!!), and then met Erin and Dan for dinner. We splurged and went out for some wicked-awesome sushi!!!! It was on a conveyer belt... priced according to plate colour! So fancy... It was suchhhhh a welcome change from the deep-fried-ness of thai food. So good! We hung out there for a while, then checked out the ultra-fancy mall complex near it... They have bowling... not like at home, but classy! Fancy tables, paintings on the walls, crazy lights everywhere... being in that bowling alley was kinda like watching a movie about the future... where bowling is the sport of the wealthy or something! Soooo stange!
So now it's raining, and we're here... just tommorow left before we go to INDIAAAAA!!!! That will be crazy. Insanity. We're so nervous, from everything we hear from people here... but also incredibly excited. Hopefully we won't get our bags slashed, our food poisoned, injected with yellow fever, or get garlic put into our fruitshakes! haha... seriously, it'll be pretty rad, we think. Defenitely ready to get out of Bangkok, as cool as it might be...

Later!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



3rd May 2006

amazing!
Hey you two.. Sarah, i'm working at your dad's office for the spring! haha = ) Im here today and Linda was looking at your blog so I thought i'd give you a shout. I had no idea you two were on the other side of the world, hope things are going well! Love the photos, Claire

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb