Diving in Koh Tao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
August 29th 2010
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Us again!!

We traveled straight through from Siem Reap (Cambodia) to Bangkok on bus. When we arrived we had a 40minute stop, which was just enough time to swallow a plate of Pad Thai! We then caught a second bus to Chumphon, and a 1 and a half hour ferry ride over to Koh Toa-an Island in South-West Thailand. Total travel took about 24hrs...we were happy though, as we got to watch an English film on our way to Chumphon...simple pleasures! When we arrived on Koh Tao, we booked our Open water diving course! We went straight to the New Way diving school and got 5nights free accomadation, as part of the Diving course agreement. That evening we watched a dvd, then had our first dive the next day.

Diving is AMAZING! Our diving instructor was Graham, who was a cool guy. We spent a lot of time with him during and after our open water course. As well as Geoff and I diving, we were with an Austrian boy called Lukas, he was sweet as anything!
I was pretty anxious to begin with. We practiced our skills in shallow water, such as filling our masks with water, then emptying them (underwater ofcourse!) taking our masks off, then putting them on again etc. We all got through the skills pretty quickly and explored our surroundings. The next couple of days consisted of diving, practicing further skills and exploring the sea! We saw so many amazing fish, coral and aquatic life! Its so peaceful under the sea, which is lovely. Until I start singing, which I find amusing, especially when singing the little mermaids 'Under the sea!' Not sure if anyone else finds it so great though 😊 On our last dive, a guy called Charlie came diving with us. He filmed us underwater, and we were encouraged to show off by our instructor! We brought the dvd, which is brill! Once we'd completed our Open water course, Geoff did his Deep dive, which enables him to dive to depths of 30metres, as apose to 18metres, which is the limit for an open water diver.


We LOVED Koh Tao. It was a beautiful, laid back island, with like minded people. We spent the most time there (8 days.) So it felt more like a holiday! On our last full day, we rented a quad bike and explored the island. We found gorgeous bays and beach's. Turquoise water and white sand-absolutly beautiful! We really enjoyed the day, although I accidently left my bag slightly open, and lost my camera, and our room key! oops! So therefore lost all our photos taken that day-so you'll just have to take our word that it was soooo beautiful!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

sleeper boat!sleeper boat!
sleeper boat!

From Koh Tao back to the main land!


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0845s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb