Bangkok --> Koh Tao


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Tao
March 22nd 2010
Published: March 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wake up in the morning feeling like Winehouse




OK, so Paddys Day in Bangkok was pretty sweet, albeit a bit odd, but still pretty good! Standard combination of stupid games only one person really understands, but everyone says they do purely to continue drinking than stand round and try and work out the rules....But ya...Spent most of it with the Millfield fellas and Rose and Nancy.

Looking back on it may have been a slight error as the next morning i moved about 3 feet before climbing back into bed until 3pm when i finally summoned the courage to stop the room from spinning and went to go stand in the most amazing shower since showers began.

I did plan on spending the day at the markets again and going over to the Temple of Dawn, Wat Arun. As the Temple would still be open for a few hours I set off to see if i could get there. The next part is probably my one main problem with Life in Bangkok as a "farang" or tourist. If you want anything done simply, it won't be done simply. If you get in a taxi, the taxi driver won't have a clue where you mean even if you have it written in Thai. hen they refuse to put it on the meter unless you start getting out. eventually you get used to the way things go but to begin with it can be infuriating. Anyway, this is what happened when i tried to get to Wat Arun. Firstly i was offered a "Nice Nice Armani Boss Suit". No Thanks. Then i was offered a trip to the Snake Sanctuary. why would anyone want a Sanctuary for snakes or want to visit it? just why. Then when i was finally dropped off at the Pier to go across the fella whose baot it was wanted 1,000 THB for what is (and what was written down on he board behind the man) a 2 THB trip.

(I was told by a little Hindi that it is all well and good me saying how much stuff is in Bahts, but no one knows the conversion rates. To put it simply, 1 Pound Sterling is equal to 50 Thai Bahts, Simples)

After this offer i politely said "No Thank You Mr Boatman" and left triumphantly. Until i realised that once again i was in an area of Bangkok i did not know and my map was useless. After about 40 minutes of looking for my hostel that was the proverbial Needle in a very hot haystack i found a 7/11 (there is literally one on every single corner over here) i thought i recognised and took a left. Wham Bam Thank you mam i made it back. Was very happy with myself for that. Said Bye to Nancy and Rosie before they got there Bus off to Phi Phi. Spent the rest of the day writing a bit of my own journal i hadn't written in ages and chilling with the Millfield lot some more.


KT Guesthouse? You know it? you said you did?...Why do you keep on smiling at me?




On this day i had one thing to do and one thing only. Get to The KT Guesthouse to start Orientation and other parts of my I-to-I Volunteer bit. I thought this would be simple. I saw ti on a map, knew which subway station to take and get off at and then which exit. Obviously it would be easy as easy can be. It was -

(sorry this is totally unrelated but the internet cafe where i am writing this now has a lot of Thai people singing a song, which is clearly very popular as there is a lot of closed eyes and looking to the skies, either I'm in a very religious internet cafe or this is a famous thai love ballad...)

- to begin with, got to Silom Rd Subway station, realised with how busy it was that taking my 2 packs on here would be a very silly idea. came out jumped in a taxi, gave him the address and off we went. I was a little bit confused when the taxi driver went on the Express way towards the airport...I eased a little when we headed towards Den Deang near where i recognised the KT Guesthouse to be. We pulled up by a Subway Station and the man turned to me and just smiled. I asked him where it was pointing in different directions seeing if there was the slightest eyebrow twitch to give it away. Nada. he just kept on smiling, i looked at the meter, gave him what he was due, which wasn't a lot surprisingly, and jumped out.

Feeling like Lady Luck must be on my side eventually i just started walking. Stopped at a couple of places and asked and they all seemed to point me in the direction i was going so i kept going. After about 20 minutes walking i made it. It seemed nice enough, very different to Lub D, overall i would say Lub D is my preffered destination but the KT did have a pool and you canne really argue with that. I was the first i-toi'er to arrive so i just took my stuff up to my room. Still not totally used to the time difference so i went for a nap, big fan of naps, which was going swimmingly until one of the guys in the hotel tried to get into my room...it turned out it was the one of the other i-to-i'ers, Maria, who had just arrived in Bangkok. after saying hi i thought i might as well go for a little swim.

Met Ryan (Not Sean, just to make that clear) and Miranda down there and got chatting with them for a while. Both really nice guys. Went out in the evening to Khaosan (can't spell it) Road for a bit of a welcome dinner. Had a really comfortable taxi ride over...4 fully grown people across the back seats didn't really work so well but no one cried. Meal was alright. Haven't actually had a Thai Meal yet that i really rate....The street food has been the best. Met back up with Ryan and the others, Miranda had eaten with us, Nikki had arrived now as well who was the final i-to-i'er. Khaosan Rd was pretty much what i expected. Much more touristy than where i had been staying in Silom, but i still liked it. apart from the little Indian men who are adamant that i need a "Nice suit, Top quality, Cheapest in Bangkok" It's a nice busy place with lots of vendors and market bits. We walked round a bit before we found a place to have a sit down in. Myself and Ryan (That is Ryan to be sure) got a Bucket of Long Island Ice Tea each, which was probably the strongest tasting one i've had apart from when i try and make it! Had a bit of a weird dance where some random man kept taking pictures and a very small child or 18 year old dwarf was in there as well. Big fan of 7/11's at the moment as well, went to go get some water with Miranda and ended up staying in there for ages because it was just nice and cold!

Miranda and i grabbed a taxi back canne fully remember what time, but on the way to the taxi there was some douche chucking a girl up against a wall. Probably a little unwise but i started going over with the taxi driver, the woman however claimed that the guy was her "husband" and i'm not one to go a meddle in a marriage so i went back over to the taxi. The next day the new i-to-i people had our introduction and orientation. I'll say a bit more about it later, but it turns out the majority of what i was told in this orientation was and is complete Bull. Cheers Masako. After a fun few hours of that i went into MBK with Ryan and Phoebe. This place is actually awesome, its like Westfields, but you can barter on the price on anything. As long as you make a disgruntled looking face when they say the first price it normally drops quite a bit. Miranda was meant to come meet us there, but she was having too much fun having her hair straightened by a LadyBoy. Spent a few hours there before hading back to KT. Once we got back just finished sorting out the rest of our stuff and got ready to go, said by to the others as they were off on a trek up north as we were heading down south to Koh Tao. Had a great time with Ryan and Miranda, hopefully seeing them again at Full Moon later this month.

Chilled on Khosan Road for a little while before getting the bus down. Bus was alright watched a film for the first hour and a bit. One of the Underworld ones, didn't really appeal to most people but oh well. i was lucky enough to have 2 seats to myself so spread out as much as i could. Tried to use the loo on the bus, but it was designed for people with no shins so i just made sure i went during the stop offs. about 9 hours on the bus and then 2 on the Ferry and we arrived in Koh Tao. It does look very idyllic, lovely white beaches and lovely warm water. Just a shame that as soon as you jump off the boat you are greeted by "TAXI TAXI TAXI TAXI TAXI". Pe Dusit met us at the pier and took us to our accommodation, i'm staying with Nikki and Maria is further down the Island. Later on during the day Pe Dusit took myself and Nikki to see Danielle who is the American Girl who'll be in charge of myself and Nikki, she seems very chilled out and after we had told her what Masako had said she just laughed. I do believe i will be spending the next 2 weeks predominantly snorkeling.

In the evening we went to the final day of the "Save Koh Tao" Festival, it was a pretty good start, lots of good food and random music. The Dive Schools had put on shows, the best one was by big blue who did Thriller. After that there was a Mr and Mrs Koh Tao. All the entrants had made their own outfits. The winner for most popular was chosen by all those watching who bought a rose and gave it to the person on stage who they liked the most. funnily enough, the winner was a Swedish Girl who wasn't wearing a lot. Cool. Met up with Joe and Rosemara who we had spoken to a little in Khoasan before we got the bus. Really nice people as well, They were staying in a pretty sweet little place down the beach. where myself and Nikki are staying isn't so tip top. It is a sweltering 35 degrees inside and the fan does little to help.

Woke up this morning and confirmed my diving, i also booked my transport back as i-to-i are nice enough to not include it (W***kers 😊 ) Decided to go for the 12 hour bus, 3 hour boat ride with a 3 hour wait in between. It saves me 250THB, that is a Bucket of San Song. I have my priorities straight.

anyway better go start work now.


Till i get another free morning!


Much Love from Koh Tao

Lorcan x



Advertisement



22nd March 2010

Seeing Thailand through the bottom of a glass...
Hello Lovely. Great to read your next instalment. I have missed you making me laugh. Please try and use capital I!! As in I went to, I am with....Keep safe lots of love Mummy xxxx

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0801s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb