Ko Samui (20.08.12 - 22.08.12)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
September 8th 2012
Published: September 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our trip on the boat was simple and not too traumatic, which made a nice change. On arrival at Samui, we had the usual tuk tuk arguments until we got a half decent price to the hotel. We were staying in Chaweng, which is the major beach resort and ex pat teratory in Ko Samui. We arrived early again and headed out for the day. The beach area of Chaweng is somewhat reminiscent of any european beach resort! he beach is packed with loungers, fancy resort hotels, jet skis and banana boats, as well as people selling all manor of bits and pieces. Behind the beach there is a long road full of shops selling tat, many pubs and bars and restaurants selling largely western food! Nearly everyone you meet here is European.

On the evenings we struggled to find thai food, but did find some nice pizza! We decided just to embrace the home comforts, and hit the English pub, with the Thai band playing old rock classics, full of English people! However, on searching for a cheap bar, we stumbled across a little pop up bar at the side of the road, selling mojito's for 1 pound. As we were sitting enjoying our cheap drink, a young lad appeared from the shop next door with a microphone. He then broke into the most fantastic beat boxing! little legend.

Ko Samui was a bit of a quick stop, and we were only there for 2 nights, but I think that was probably enough and if we went back we would chose somewhere other than Chaweng, which was both expensive and could be anywhere in the world! We booked our onward travel to get to Krabi, whch is on the opposite coast of Thailand. Booking this was a bit of a nightmare, as everyone was offering the same company packages, all of which were slammed on the internet, and after an early morning wake up, we set off on a mini bus for Krabi with the feeling we would deffinately have our bags picked through on the bus and not much we could do about it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb