Thailand - Koh Samui -Beach parties, paradise locations, buffalo fighting and a random pool party! I told you Thailand has everything.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
January 4th 2012
Published: January 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thailand – Koh Samui – Beach parties, paradise locations, buffalo fighting and a random pool party! I told you Thailand has everything.

After the antics of Bangkok we all headed to one of Thailand’s better known Islands called Koh Samui in the South. The combination of the bus and ferry ride were very straight forward thanks to the help of Maam’s local knowledge.

When we arrived at Koh Samui it was raining, not exactly what we had hoped for but fingers crossed it would improve fairly quickly. We found our hostel, checked in and ventured straight out for some food. To say the food was basic was a mild understatement, it was sticky rice and chicken from a road side vendor but to be honest none of us cared because we were so hungry by this point. With our batteries recharged we headed out to try and hire a jeep for our stay, sadly because it was New Year all the jeeps on the island were already rented out so we opted for mopeds instead and the choice of helmets was shocking as you will see from my rather fetching little pink number. Whilst trying to find a jeep or moped the lovely lady from the chicken and rice stall saw us walking in the rain and offered us a lift into town, not only did she give us a lift but she also took us to all the hire companies and asked on our behalf for a jeep. Throughout this trip I’m forever being exposed to such immense levels of kindness and helpfulness from local people, moments such as these are why travelling is so special. I cannot imagine this ever happening back home and it’s a remarkable thing when you get to experience it on a regular basis, it makes you realise the world is still full of fantastic people. Thank you random lady from the chicken and rice stall!!!

We went out and explored the island on the first couple of days but the rain was so heavy it took away from the enjoyment somewhat. But not deterred we continued on and eventually got some better weather which meant the sexy poncho’s could come off for a while. We managed to complete a lap of the island visiting such sights as the waterfalls, the mummified monk, various temples and many beautiful beach spots. Sadly Maam couldn’t stay for the total duration because unlike someone I could mention (me) she has one of those annoying things we all love so much, a job! On Maam’s final night we all went into Chewang for some drinks and the beach side party at the Arc Bar. It was pretty crazy with fire spinners and dancers on the beach and generally a lot of drunken tourists having the time of their lives, it was a great night and by chance we bumped into Gav’s mate Rick again. At this point I felt the remaining days on the Island could get a little crazier!!!

Because the weather had been so bad but was now gorgeous sunshine we decided on Maam’s last day to hit the beach and relax, the view was just perfect and the water was crystal clear I couldn’t have asked for more. Great company, brilliant weather and a perfect location it was incredible. After a few hours I dropped Maam at the ferry terminal and arrived back at the hostel to see we had a new roommate, welcome aboard Rick and to make it a foursome we made a good friend in our other roommate Jon,
Koh Samui - Buffalo fighting - The fightKoh Samui - Buffalo fighting - The fightKoh Samui - Buffalo fighting - The fight

It was over in under a minute!
so three now became four.

Needless to say over the next couple of nights and days the pace quickened somewhat, on one of the days we went out on an epic island tour were we ended the day by watching a buffalo fight, I was a bit disappointed because it only lasted one minute and twenty six seconds because the losing buffalo ran off scared. I’m not into this sort of thing normally but it was a local highlight and there were hardly any tourists there it was basically all locals which made me feel a little better knowing it wasn’t just put on to entertain the tourists.

After a great day exploring the other areas of the island we embarked on a drinking game with everyone at the hostel and headed back to the Arc Bar for more partying, the night was full of good times and plenty of drink. We finally called it a day about 3am and returned to the hostel where we continued with our own pool party, yep the hostel had a pool, you’ve got to love it! Well at about 4am I called it a night and to my surprise the hard core group consisting mainly of my roommates all decided it was time to go out clubbing again. I just have no idea how they did it, I would like to say I’m an old man but we are all a similar age??? So I guess I’m just a light weight.

The boys eventually rolled in around 6am and by 7am Rick was off again on an island tour, I just have no idea how he managed it, I’m pretty sure he was still drunk and probably remembers nothing of his Island tour!

That was our last night on the island, Gav and I complete with hideous hangovers returned our mopeds and headed for the ferry for the nine hour trip back to Bangkok.

A great time had on an amazing Island, this Island is by no means the best for that perfect paradise setting because Thailand has some far more impressive Islands however if you are looking for a great mix of beach paradise and a lively night life then this is a great place to go and you will not be disappointed.

Hopefully you’ve all read my previous blog that talks about our last days
Koh Samui - Mummified MonkKoh Samui - Mummified MonkKoh Samui - Mummified Monk

You have to love the Ray bans
in Bangkok, however I would like to say a big thank you to Gav for coming out to see me over the New Year, it was amazing to see a great friend after so long, I had a brilliant time and I’m fairly sure he did too, until Oz take it easy and don’t work too hard.

Well that brings about an end to my time Thailand, yet another brilliant time had, not just because of the perfect locations but mainly because of the special people I’m so fortunate to have in my life. Next stop Cambodia and Angkor Wat, for once a temple that I’m excited about going to see, let’s hope the reality is as good as the expectation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Koh Samui - Waterfall 1Koh Samui - Waterfall 1
Koh Samui - Waterfall 1

These were the names of the falls 1 and 2, not a lot of thought gone in there!
Koh Samui - Gav, Rick and Jon relaxing before dinnerKoh Samui - Gav, Rick and Jon relaxing before dinner
Koh Samui - Gav, Rick and Jon relaxing before dinner

Perfect setting shame about the company :)


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb