Everything We Needed - Beaches, Motorbikes, Guns, Bars and Clubs


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
May 5th 1989
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Chaweng BeachChaweng BeachChaweng Beach

Alan, Andy, Stan, Tiny and Mike on Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui
It was back to the buses and boats again, this time to another island called Koh Samui. As per usual, there were plenty of people to meet the boat. We chose a hotel on Cheweng beach 20km away from the port, which meant a long ride in the back of a pick-up truck. The general attitude towards road safety here, and most other things for that matter, is "who gives a shit", which suited us fine.

The skin cancer didn't get much attention here due to the rain, so Tiny, Andy and I hired some motorbikes and set out to tour the island. We visited the main town on the island and the originally named Big Buddha, before cooling off in a waterfall. Andy and Tiny lost control at one point and ended up spread over the road. I was no better and it was only luck that stopped me going the same way. Needless to say we were wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops and no crash helmets.

One evening, the Thais who ran the hotel and restaurant asked us if we wanted to go to a local club with them. We were game on for some extended drinking time
The Big BudaThe Big BudaThe Big Buda

Stairway to the Big Buda in the north of Koh Samui
(not that there were laws about that sort of thing anyway) so we jumped in the back of the pick-up, but rapidly starting reconsidering when we saw one of them checking a gun and putting it in the glove compartment.

The club was actually a good do, although we were literally the only non-Thais there. The guys who took us there went straight in to chat-up some girls and we followed right behind them. Strangely enough, we didn't get anywhere, but neither did they. The fact that they were in a worse state than we were didn't stop them driving home, which was quite an unnerving experience. Something else they don't give a dam about. At least that gun seemed to stay put in the glove compartment.

The next evening we went to the Reggae Bar which is where all the foreigners go. We weren't able to chat-up anyone that night either, but with the amount of alcohol being drunk, the fact that most people there spoke English didn't really help.

There was a fat German staying at our hotel with a young Thai boy who he had obviously purchased for his time there, the sick pervert.
Luxury TravelLuxury TravelLuxury Travel

Travelling in the back of a pick-up truck
He seemed to walk with a limp, but we didn't think it was because of his leg!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb