ko samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
January 9th 2010
Published: January 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

hello everyone and a Happy New Year. There is only one thing to say about ko samui... its was emotional!

our bus from bangkok was a nice VERY SPACIOUS coach! NAAAT! we had two extremely annoying giggly girls sat behind us who did not be quiet till very late in the night and the people in front of us had their seats right back so it wasnt a very comfortable 10 hour bus ride down to surrathani. here we caught the ferry to ko samui. it was meant to be an hour and a half crossing but it turned out to be three hours so we were abosolutely shattered by the time we arrived in ko samui town. we stuggled to find a place to stay as we trapsed round in the midday sun and began to get worried when the only place we could find was either for 2000 bhat or we could have the room but for only one night which wasnt good as we need a room for 3 nights. anyway so we settled for a sightly more expensive room that we could only stay in for one night and decided that we would get up early the next day and find somewhere else as i was getting a bit emotional at this point and thinking we were going to have to rough it and sleep on the beach. on the upside this place had a pool and was near the main strip so we had a few beers and went to bed early.

the next day we went on the hunt for a place to stay. i found it! cozy cottages saved our little lives for the night! but we had other things to worry about such as NEW YEAR! the reason why we coudlnt find a place to stay was because it seemed the whole world was going to the full moon on ko phangan! ko phangan was full as was ko samui and i would bet good money on ko tao being full at the time aswell. so we rested up during the day in preparation for what was going to be an amazing night. our taxi to the pier was at 9:30 but when we got to the place where we were meant to be picked up from there was a group of boys that were meant to have been picked at 6:30 but they said that all the buses were running 2 hours late as there was so much traffic on the roads. turned out they had been drinking all day and actually missed their taxi. the boats over were crazy. the queue to get on the boats stretched from the shore right back to the road, and the queue wasnt one person stood behind the other it was ten people across all trying to slyly work their was through the crowd faster than anyone else. the queue was then filtered to another queue up on the wooden pier that stretched out to sea where they would get on the boat. one couple from the middle of the queue tried to sneak out in front of everyone to the pier, everyone booed them as they were sent back, and at that at least a hundred people dashed for the pier and they werent even sent back! boats were crowded round the pier and in the end just came as close to the shore as possible and then the people had wade out to see. this wasnt to my liking as i was wearing leggings! AND they wouldnt let us on the boat that we had waded out for for ages. my loud protsts of ' my knickers are getting wet let us on NOW!' soon worked, only for a supposed rusky to shove me back and almost drown me by digging is elbow in to my ribs so he could get on, but adam was already up the ladder and wouldnt let anyone else up until i was behind him and got on with him ( my saviour) i shoved past the rusky with a smug look on my face and said something quite rude to him as i thought he didnt understand, he turned out to be american, no matter! we sped off to the full moon party. apparently at a typical full moon party there are around 10, 000 people, ticket numbers said that 30, 000 people went to the new year full moon party. i have never seen anything like that night, it was absolutely mental. stalls were selling the buckets the best we saw had a sign in front saying 'fucking cheap buckets' (sorry mums) and the beach was packed with people. all along were different clubs and bars playing different music and the fireworks were incredible. the effect of the dreaded buckets soon set in and we headed back to the pier for a boat back at around 3! we got back to the island and headed straight to Mc donalds!

New Years day was spent completely relaxing on the beach with scrambled eggs and BACON for breakfast. the beaches were incredible white sands and clear blue waters but they were slightly spoilt by the amount of people that crowded them apart from on new years day as the buses back from ko phangan ran until 9 in the morning! consequently the beaches were relatively quiet on new years day, normally you couldnt find a place to lay out a towel or sun bathe. we sat and ate and drank for most of the day. despite feeling a bit worse for wear neither of us could say no to a few drinks. i even treated myself to a pena colada! we stayed in ko samui another night and had booked a boat to another island called ko tao (turtle island) and we had also booked a serene isolated resort that had no main road leading to it and we planned to spend the 4 days we had there relaxing away from the hustle of everything on their little private beach. Tell you about that in the next blog.

lots of love to everyone AND a Happy New Year!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb