Day 3 in Thailand - Exploring Lamai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
January 11th 2004
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We got up early today to check out one of the resorts (which we were keen on), if they have any vacancy. Having lived in the concrete jungle for all our lives, we were both keen to stay in those wooden/bamboo huts during our getaway. Plus, the huts at Charlie's Hut looks really great. It was about slightly over 9am and there wasn't any check-outs yet, so we had breakfast at their eatery while we wait.

*The receptionist quoted THB300 for a hut with fan and shower, and THB500 for a double.

< This is what I really called a getaway island. It is 10am plus now and we hardly see many people who are awake. Seems most of them just want to sleep in and enjoy the pleasure of not getting up early for their work or kids. It is nice to snooze in late. Ahhh... The beauty of holiday... >

< Hmmm... My sister does pack a lot of useful tools for backpacking, I'm amazed at the kind of tools she brings. She's really looks like a backpacking pro. >

After a nice little breakfast, we went back to the Charlie's Hut reception counter. We were really put off by the bad attitude and rudeness of the receptionist. Despite showing politeness and sincerity in wanting to rent a hut there, that nonchalant face of hers was really quite irritating (*Bitch!). And so we decided to run off to another beach to do some exploring.
We packed up and headed off to Lamai beach, where we spent a very hot afternoon strolling up and down the beach looking for a reasonably-priced resort. We ended up at the Sea Breeze Resort where we got a double room with fan and shower at THB400. After unpacking our stuff, we tried to have a swim at the waters, but the waves were strong and all we got, were being crashed by wave after wave. :P We were really quite disappointed by the condition of the beach - the sand is rough and terrible, and the beach was awfully dirty (Yucks!). At the end of the day, we were dying to go back to Chaweng. It took us ages to clean and wash out all that damned sand off our bodies and swimsuits. After that un-swimmable experience, we decided to walk around the shops and stores. A little while into the walk, we realised that Lamai is actually quite a sleazy area, and not quite suitable for the ladies. There are more girlie bars and pubs than we can count.

< Oh well, at least we get to see the other facet of the island. >

We had our dinner at the restaurant in our resort and had a nice chat with the waiter there. We had plenty of good service and attention from the staffs, cos it seemed we were the only customers there.

< I feel a bad tummy ache coming up. Was it food-poisoning? Or that I'm still weak from the flu I had earlier? Ouch... >

Yup, I took some panadols and charcoal pills, and went to bed in pain.



Expenditure:
- Eatery at Charlie's Hut, hamburger THB50, butter and toast THB30, hot tea THB20
- Songtheaw ride from Chaweng to Lamai, THB50
- Sea Breeze Resort, double room with fan and shower THB400
- bottled, distilled water THB15
- a small hammock THB180, batik sarong THB150 (haggled down to THB300 for both. Yes, I'm lousy at haggling...)
- Internet usage THB50
- a pair of shorts THB150 (a souvenir must-have for myself. A grey shorts w Ko Samui sewed onto it.)
- Sea Breeze Restaurant, seafood Pad Thai THB55, hot tea THB30
- fruits from vendor THB20



Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb