Trying to find Thailand.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
July 11th 2008
Published: July 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Back in KL, Bianca and I wasted no time sorting out a way to get out of the city. Thirty-eight degrees is fine when you're sprawled out on the beach, when your standing on the ashphalt, however, the sunrays are all magnified right on your face and the air never seems to circulate between the highrises.

Booking a last minute flight to Thailand proved no problem as Asia has a plethora of inexpensive airlines, some of which have better reputations (Air Asia) then others (Air Adam-too many suspicious accidents). In order to get the cheapest ticket, we brilliantly assumed we'd be able to function at 5 am, after four hours of sleep due to a midnight swim. The result was that the next morning we made the poor decision to drive to the bus station instead of stumbling sleepily into a cab. The road system in KL is difficult enough to manage even when our GPS, affectionately nicknamed Alice is chirping magically "turn left in 900m". Tragically, the normally accurate Alice decided that she wasn't interested in functioning that early either, and after 15mins all she could say was "still searching for satellite signals". Me too, Alice.

I could see Bianca's helpless face, or perhaps panic stricken, in the backseat as I attempted to navigate our way through the mazes of highways, realizing too often too late that we had to be in the right lane to turn left, and needing a reminder every few minutes that we really should be on the left hand side of the road. Now, if we would have been there during rush hour she would have been up for some real quality entertainment but probably would have dragged me into the nearest taxi. Like in all mad cities, the taxi drivers can drive 120km along the shoulder of the highway while doging mopeds on both sides.

When we pulled up at the bus station it was already three minutes past the departure time, but we ran through the shopping center anyways and threw our luggage down two escalator just so we could watch the bus pull away. They much have been in a good mood that morning, because the bus actually stopped and came back for us!

All I can say is that since we have any plans yet for Thailand I hope we can get this lucky the whole way! However, since I don't want to count on it, I'm planning on reading the ENTIRE lonely planet on our three hour flight, sorting out accomodation and transportation for EVERY place, and having an entire stress free adventure! At least that's what I'll dream about on the flight.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb