Moonlight over Samui


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
April 22nd 2008
Published: April 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dear Readers - We ate dinner at the hotel last night and watched a very red moon rise over the ocean. The picture will not do it justice. Digital cameras do have some limits.

Festival ballons are common here in the evenings. They are made of very thin paper and are approximately the size of a large garbage sack. They are heated and lighted by a wax ring that is wired to the structure so it works like a hot air ballon. They are very pretty in the sky as they rise and follow the air currents. Can't image doing this in our area as they probably would burn down the forest but on a island they are safe.

Gasoline is an interesting commodity in that they sell it at roadside stalls in litre sized bottles. There are regular gas stations as well. The gas costs about 35.4 baht per litre which is about $1 US. You do the math. Gas is more expensive here than in the states.

Pirated CDs are very popular and are for sale everywhere on the streets. Many shops carry these both musical and movies for 100 baht each ($3.12 US). The quality however leaves a lot to be desired. Out of 4 we bought, one was terrible quality and the others were passable. They were English with English sub-titles??????

The massages have been great. I also got a pedicure as you can see in the picture.

We went to Naton yesterday and the shop keeper at my favorite batik store gave me small hankerchief size batik for free. We did order another batik that is Indonesian style. We will pick it up Thursday.

All for now,

Jim and Ann


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Jim's House of painJim's House of pain
Jim's House of pain

Pedicures are not painful. The massages, Thai style, can be painful but rejuvinating


22nd April 2008

Caught Billy up again. He really enjoyed it. It is hard trying to describe the pictures to him. I will be leaving the 28th of May. First thing is to set up my computer so he can enjoy your trip first hand. The pics are wonderful. Always looking forward to rading your next entry. Love Lynne and Billy too!
25th April 2008

Moonlight
Hi - good to hear from you. Glad you had a good time on the trip. We read you had snow and we were really glad we were here. The weather is still very stormy today for the third day in a row. We leave tomorrow via a boat to the mainland so we hope the weather improves. We then take an overnight train to Bangkok. Will depart Bangkok two days later for Viet Nam. Did you get email I sent you regarding Dan's new boat? Ann and the Archbishop

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb