Chilling with the folks in paradise


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
August 5th 2007
Published: August 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kate
After leaving Mum and Dad on Tuesday we had to do another 3 days at work before we got a plane ourselves and heading for the island of Ko Samui. We jumped into a taxi straight from school on Friday to the airport, which convienently is only about 1/2 hour from our flat. After enjoying the free nibbles, internet and magazines in the Bangkok airways complimentary lounge followed by just over an hour on the plane we were on a tropical island. Ah, not a bad place to live this!

Ko Samui is one of those famous Thai islands that you see in films and on the tv. White sand beaches, palm trees and falling coconuts. The airport was the cutest I've ever seen. All bamboo and palm leaves with no walls, just wood carvings. At the airport we got picked up in a minibus and taken to the Samui Palm Beach resort where Mum and Dad were staying and where they had kindly booked us a room for the weekend.

And what a room! It was beautiful! More of a villa really. With big glass doors that opened onto the verranda, the biggest bed I have even slept in, and a sunken bath! Mum and Dad had upgraded themselves to a beachfront villa, so their double doors opened onto a view of the sea and the islands beyond, with palm trees and white sand. They even got their own sunbeds that only they could use. No getting up at 6am to put out towels so the Germans didnt nick all the beds for my parents!

So on Saturday we all went on a full day tour. Ko Samui is next to the Ang Thong marine park, a national park of 42 islands, many of them deserted, and lots of karsts (big rocks that stick up out of the water. It is where the book/film "The Beach" is set. We went on a boat tour of the park, including lots of sea kayaking and snorkelling. We've never done sea kayakking before so it was a cool adventure. The boat took us into the marine park and we went kayaking around lots of the karsts, through rock tunnels and into pools in the middle of rocks. It was really amazing and stunningly beautiful. We went snorkelling as well but that was just murky. There was coral there but you couldn't see anything because it was so turbid. Don't know if that was because it is the rainy season, because it was windy or because the boats were letting wee into the water. I don't want to think about that too deeply. In the afternoon we kayaked to one of the islands, Ko Mae Ko where we landed the kayaks. We climbed to the top of some stairs where there was a lookout over a saltwater lake completely enclosed by rocks. It has underwater holes that connect it to the sea. It was lovely, really shimmering green. We climbed up some more steps to a lookout where we could see lots of the other islands. There is supposed to be loads of amazing nature in the marine park, but I have to say we didnt see many birds or fish, and certainly no exciting mammals. Ah well, it was a great day and lots of fun, if alittle achy on the arms!

On Saturday night we walked along the beach to the nearest town/village, Boput, a 'fisherman's village' with lots of bars and restaurants in old wooden buildings overlooking the sea. We had a great Italian overlooking the beach and then went for a couple of drinks in some Irish and British bars!!

On Sunday we had a lazy day around the resort. The Samui Palm beach resort had two pools, one overlooking the beach, and another that was like a river winding past some of the hotel buildings. At the end of the river was an pizza cafe, and you could sit on a stool in the water and have a drink! Great for if you needed the toilet mid drink (actually this wasnt possible, the stools were too high out of the water. Foiled again!). We lazed around enjoying the luxury for most of the day. After a quick dinner it was time to go back to the airport to fly back home. Baaa humbug for work on Monday! There are a few disadvantages to working here and being able to fly to tropical islands for weekends, the main one being that you have to fly back for work on Monday!

So we said a sad goodbye to my parents who stayed on Ko Samui to enjoy the rest of their holiday. We had a great weekend and it was fab to have that kind of luxury! Thanks Mum and Dad!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Kayaking to an islandKayaking to an island
Kayaking to an island

actually, I think Kris is doing all the work here!
At the viewpoint At the viewpoint
At the viewpoint

overlooking the marine park
Mum drinking her "sexy lady" cocktail Mum drinking her "sexy lady" cocktail
Mum drinking her "sexy lady" cocktail

out of a slightly rude glass!
Dad having the most fun he has had in his lifeDad having the most fun he has had in his life
Dad having the most fun he has had in his life

on a songtheaw on the way home from the pub


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb