1. 25/6 - 30/6 - What a first week


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Samui
July 1st 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We've been in Thailand a week tomorrow, and made the decision to head south and spend a couple of weeks on Ko Samui, so far at Chaweng Beach.

25/06/07
We arrived in Bangkok late monday afternoon, and found it hot, hectic and smelly.
The city is geared up for tourists (especially male sex tourists), and we were constantly hassled about this. Our 'friendly taxi driver' took us to a hugely expensive fish restaurant (2500 bahtsor 40 pound for dinner) and then to a lady bar where we had to select a woman to sit with us (all numbered), and then tried to charge us 3000 bahts each to have them as guides for the night!!!! We quickly told them to get bent and thought the safest thing was to get back to the hotel and have an early night!!!

26/06/07
We woke up tuesday, enjoyed our buffet breakfast of fruit, croissants, pancakes etc (true backpacker style) and set off for the Royal District, determined not to get fleeced again. Luckily we met what turned out to be a conman called Artit (apparently a history teacher killing time in Bangkok before his train ride home). He took us to the Flower Market, China Town and India Town and Old Bangkok and showed us round a typical thai home. Unfortunately when we got off the long boat (pissed i might add after beers, sun and no food), he managed to wander off with 4500 bahts.....still lesson learned and we haven't paid over the odds for anything since (famous last words). Ironically he taught us a lot about Thai culture, phrases, social ettiqeutte, spirit houses etc so wasn't just 4500 bahts down the drain. That nighwe took it easy, went to Pat Pong Night Market, looked around the stalls, were hassled to go into lady bars (and sometimes almost dragged in) but managed to have dinner for 2 quid and a beer whilst watching a thai band fronted by an American and back to the hotel.

27/06/07
On wednesday we headed out of Bangkok via Hua Lamphong station on the sleeper train but had to wait 8 hours in the train station for fear of spending a fortune in Bangkok. The train ride was awesome, very basic/spartan but great fun when they converted the seats into beds and pulled down beds from the sides of the train (the hostess on the train was a ladyboy, and worryingly barrie could not see it until i pointed out the square shoulders and chin, the fact that it was 6 foot and had no chest but an adams apple!!!!).


28/06/07
After a reasonable nights sleep we got off the train at Surat Thanio and got a coach to Donsak habour where we took the 2 hr express ferry to Na Thon on Ko Samui (not a westerner or backpacker in sight). We jumped on the local bus at Na Thon and with fingers crossed headed for Ko Samui. Fortunately the people of Ko Samui (known as Choi Samui) are really unbelievably friendly (a young boy offered us his biscuits on the bus) and so out Thai experience got even better. One guy explained the deal with the bus, and the lady whose son offered the biccies, told us where to get off the bus and walked us to the beach. We stumbled onto the beach in full backpacker style (trek shoes, combats, back pack), and looked like prize plums. We headed for the nearest beach bar, grabbed a drink and got changed in the toilets into shorts etc. We walked on the beach for about half a mile and found Dew Drop Huts, basic, clean, right on the beach, electric, running water, one bed and only 400 bahts a night. We spent the afternoonon the beach, found a local restaurant and had an early night (partly due to the rain shower).

29/06/07
Friday, our first full day in one place, started late after a mega lie-in. Unsurprisingly we spent the day on Chaweng Beach, and got our personal record of 214 at bat and ball (all challengers welcome). Weather has/is a bit cloudy which is a god send because it is so so hot. Spoke to one of the local Hawkers on the beach (Ben) and 2 Swedish girls (Ileen and Erica - of course Barrie is in love) and got loads of info about Chaweng. Later on we went investigating the town and found the Portsmouth FC Bar (very authentic), walked up to the Thai KickBoxing stadium (Muay Thai) - it was like a scene out of a film as we approached a group of about 6 thai guys standing outside the stadium, luckily for them they were friendly and barrie and i weren't forced to kick ass. We headed back the beach and i finished off the day with a run along the beach for half an hour at sunset which was amazing. The beach and surroundings are stunning (although me rocking up to the hut literally covered in sweat must have surpassed it......................)

That evening was a real experience, we walked the whole length of the resort trying to find beer/backpackers but struggled (actually a really high class resort with designer boutiques, expensive restaurants and swanky bars) until luckily (?!) i found Henry Africa's, where beer was only 50 bahts. As we walked in the picture became clearer. Opposite was Dream Girls (which from the clientele and women prancing around in Bikini's is a lap dance/massage/love you long time five dollar joint. In Henry Africa's we had sambuca girl wearing a shot belt, f&^k me boots (sorry for the language mum and dad), red cow girl outfit and one stocking, and various scantilyclad thai girls. Barrie and i retreated to the bar stools and watched the free pool and girls chatting with all the guys. Smugly we sat, away from the crowd and not sucked into buying Thai 'chaparons' drinks (later, after a conversation with a Dutch guy we found out that basically there are a loads of Thai girls who meet Western guys in bars, and spend the duration of their holiday with them as 'interactive' guides, in exchange for being paid for ie drinks, meals, clothes). Our solitude was broken (naively i thought quite innocently) by Ann (Thai bird) asking me for a game of Connect 4. I thought, 'hey, she must be bored, just fancies a game of connect 4' but that was where the assault began. After stuffing both of us i played her for a drink and won, she bought me one and we played again, she won and her drink was 3 times the cost of mine (hustled). Both Barrie and i quite merry at this stage, she told us the pool table was free and we wandered over. She followed, as did others. Pool continued for a while, and then the all-out assault of asking for drinks (no chance, obviously does not realise what a tight bastard i am, especially as i wanted no boom boom off her!!!), outrageous flirting followed by begging for sex and telling me that if i was having sex with a Thai girl on holiday that would somehow make me/amy happy.......this carried on the whole time we were there and then they wanted us to take them to the Green Mango (as it turns out an awesome open air night club). After an awkward 15 minutes of 'no seriously, we are fine and leaving alone', we made our escape. We walked/half-ran to the Green Mango. Once there, Barrie quickly copped off with a Thaibird, i had to spend the evening talking to her mate (who spoke virtually no english, great...) and met him back at the Hut after they had gone for a 'walk'. Unfortunately her mate had a moped, i was too pissed to really remember where we were staying, so we spent half an hour drag racing up the Chaweng Beach Road. As far as near death experiences go (i was wrecked and in charge of the throttle), this was pretty close. I metback up with Barrie on the main road by our huts and spent an awkward 10 minutes trying to bin them (apparently Barrie had utilised the expression 'you are having a laugh, i don't pay for ....(fill in the blanks)), and ran back to the hut. Safely inside, we laughed, and laughed and lauged.

30/06/07
Due to our hangovers we cried, and cried and cried that morning, but headed for the beach. Probably the worst hangover of all time (was sick in the sea - Barrie wondered why the fish were so friendly - i later owned up). Bat and ball a wash-out, sunbathing a wash-out, just sat in the sea. We did meet our first backpackers, Claire and Sarah from Dublin, and realised how awesomewe were at making our money last (we got the locals train, bus and ferry and spent 1800 bahts getting to Chaweng from Bangkok, they spent 8000 by flying. Gave them the low-down on best restaurants etc and headed back from the beach late. Quiet evening, just dinner (awesome Thai Green Curry with red and green chillies (v hot)) and probably the best 200 bahts we spent, on a Thai massage. We were a bit worried when they walked us past all the other customers and took us upstairs and asked us to put some different shorts on, but all was ok. Over an hour later after a full body massage where they used their hands, elbows, feet (stood on us at points), we left exhausted, totally relaxed and feeling like we had done a gym session. Did the trick, fell asleep no problem, at about half ten........

Advertisement



1st July 2007

what a first week indeed!
Dont know if I feel better or worse now that I now whats been going on. Sounds like you have sussed the ripoffs though. You must be exhausted, especially Barrie. Went to see Elvis last night. Tell you what, his singing has gone right off. My holiday in Greece seems a million years ago, but looking forward to seeing you all in New Zealand in November for a week, then maybe go to see Mike and Paula. Globe Trotter! Me and Amy missing you, but not for long. I'm with Caroline and Adam this weekend, they send their love. Amy will set up my e-mail this week, then I can receive my version of events. Love you lots Ma xx
1st July 2007

very funny
matthew as your future parents in law can see you have got prospects as a comedy writer will be looking for a publishing deal asap glad you are basic ally ok and not been ripped off too many times amy is missing you of course she cant wait to see you love mandy and dave

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb