Phi Phi Don


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
August 6th 2013
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today I booked a trip on a long boat to do some snorkelling and explore a little of the surrounding islands. The long tail boat carried about fifteen people, ten of which I think had just left sixth form. They all came equipped with large handbags, mobile phones and mirrors which you obviously need when on a boat and going snorkelling!! On leaving the main island of Phi Phi Don we headed towards Phi phi Le which is pretty much uninhabited, the First stop was Maya Bay which is where "The Beach" was filmed, very pretty but absolutely packed with boats and people, not my cup of tea at all. however the scenery is quite stunning the limestone carsts rise from the sea almost vertically, very similar to Halong Bay but on a smaller scale. The sheer cliffs provide the birds nests, for birds nest soup so loved by the Chinese.

Next stop was for snorkelling, although everyone knew we were going snorkelling as that what you booked for on your ticket, it seemed when we arrived at the spot that the younger ones couldn't decide if they really wanted to do it??? Most of them put on life jackets, although they hadn't when entering the boat??? Then there was a big dilemma over whether the masks etc were clean, surely they could have given the a quick swish in the sea?? Then there was the question what to do with their handbags, I almost suggested taking them with them as by this time my patience was getting a little short. When half a dozen of them eventually got into the water the screaming was unbelievable so any chance of actually seeing any fish was pretty minimal. Then one of them saw a shark!!! In fact a small barracuda and they all started screaming again, I almost lost the will to live. Ha ha. Then one of the girls was bitten by a fish, well you could hardly blame the fish could you!! So they all got back into the boat thankfully and snorkelling commenced.

From there we visited another bay which was really pretty and not so many boats, and apart from one of the girls vomiting over the side of the boat most of us enjoyed a peaceful swim!!!!! Thankfully I wasn't in the water at the time she was ill. After lunch we slowly made our way back stopping off at Viking Cave, a grotto where you can see stalactites and ancient wall paintings. last stop was the beach where the monkeys are, they all admitted they had their rabies jabs so were ok to go on the beach. I was extremely glad to reach dry land and not have to listen to any more juvenile ramblings, posing for photos or checking mobile phones. I crept off to a quiet beach to read my book, then a cat appeared and decided to be my best friend which would have been fine it I hadn't been allergic to cats. A long walk along the beach was obviously the best remedy, the plus side was that it was a beautiful sunset.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb