The Beach- Maya Beach, Phi Phi and Krabbi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
January 6th 2008
Published: January 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Time to move on from Phuket- theres only so much seedy men with young Thai girls/boys and hardcore partying the body can take...we headed towards Phi Phi.

Phi Phi and the surrounding islands are beautiful, much more like i was expecting when i was coming to Thailand and more natural than Phuket...spent the day on PP and went canoeing over to Monkey Beach (where there are lots of monkeys surprise suprise!) for some swimming and chilling on the beach.
Late afternoon we got a boat and did some snorkelling in the middle of nowhere which was amazing! Even more so because most tourists go out on a day trip, ie leaving in the morning so that there are loads of people in the water making it difficult to see anything. When we went, all the boats were heading back so we basically had the water to ourselves. We also had a girl in our group who had never swam before let alone snorkelled so we helped her out in the water which was also pretty cool as she got to see the fish going by and was pretty happy with it all once she trusted us to not let her drown 😊...

After the snorkelling we got back in the boat and headed over to Maya Beach or Phi Phi Lay (thats the beach from the movie THe Beach). Have a look at the photos, pretty beautiful i think and again made even more amazing by the fact that only the one company we were with have a license to be there (its a national park) in the evening so all the other tourists were heading home while us 6 (plus staff) had the island completely to ourselves.
The island was even more amazing by night and we slept under the stars on the beach (some slept- as usual i was awake...for once my insomnia was a blessing as the others hadn't quite calculated accurately where tide would come up to and they all got soaked - cameras were broken and people soaked through as they were too out of it to wake up for some time despite the water being up to their waists- i'm not even exaggerating..fortunately, i was off exploring with a couple of other guys). Bizarre how much scarier things are when its pitch black...kept hearing rustling sounds coming from the trees, just crabs mostly i think but sounded like so much more, as we walked about and everything seemed so close and yet far....reexploring in the morning wasn't quite the same! A few drinks and some smoking probably added to the whole atmosphere but it was a pretty awesome night and if anyones heading over to Thailand definitely recommend going over for the evening camping rather than with the hoardes of tourists by day...

The following morning we went out for some more snorkeling followed by cliff jumping- which was pretty amazing but i completely sucked at it...I tried to replicate the way the local guy told me to jump in, apparently waving your arms about in the air is supposed to help you control yourself and line you up straight before you hit the water...i think it pretty much just turned me the wrong way so that i hit the water with an almighty crash and it bloody hurt my back! All good fun though, and once we'd done the climb up the cliff it really was safer jumping in than attempting to climb back down... Excellent stuff and will definitely do it again....once my back has recovered!

Arrived back on Phi Phi fairly late and with no where to stay that night, the only transport leaving the island was going to Krabbi so decided that was as good a place as anywhere, and at least in the right direction of me heading to Koh Phangnan for new years...had another drunken night out, at least i vary it by location, and spent the next day suffering a little/exploring Krabbi and sampling some local Thai delicacies (ie insects) before heading off over to the islands for the big new years eve party...



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Boat out to Maya BeachBoat out to Maya Beach
Boat out to Maya Beach

...yes, there goes my cool sun hat again, but i was burning!!
the stop for our snorkellingthe stop for our snorkelling
the stop for our snorkelling

threw some pineapple into the sea and the amount and colours of fish and coral was all pretty amazing
Arriving on "THE BEACH"Arriving on "THE BEACH"
Arriving on "THE BEACH"

Maya beach is the beach from the movie..
Me climbing up rocks againMe climbing up rocks again
Me climbing up rocks again

...clearly i missed out on being a monkey as a kid, love climbing up trees/rocks...any opportunity!
...and darker still...and darker still
...and darker still

couldn't see very far in front of me and could just hear rustling coming from all around us...started to think we should turn back but nothing like continuing on and scaring yourself!
Walk around the island at nightWalk around the island at night
Walk around the island at night

...getting pretty dark
Mr Crab - The terrorizerMr Crab - The terrorizer
Mr Crab - The terrorizer

at least the culprit for causing all the scary rustling...there were loads of them, not just the one!
Group photo- just chilling on the beach, playing drinking games etc...Group photo- just chilling on the beach, playing drinking games etc...
Group photo- just chilling on the beach, playing drinking games etc...

and yes, i know i'm pretty red- the hat protection was all too late!
The bucketsThe buckets
The buckets

dangerous drinking vessels- filled with loads of whiskey and red bull
the calm before the storm!the calm before the storm!
the calm before the storm!

most people (except me due to my hyperactivity lack of sleeping...) passed out, due to too much drink/smoke etc...didn't wake up until it was too late...cameras broken and soaked halfway from the tide coming in...very funny as it wasn't me! :)
Swimming out to start the ascent of cliff before the big jump inSwimming out to start the ascent of cliff before the big jump in
Swimming out to start the ascent of cliff before the big jump in

...unfortunately no pic of me jumping in- just movie- really wasn't overly elegant and hurt like hell!
Krabbi- Culinary DelightsKrabbi- Culinary Delights
Krabbi- Culinary Delights

For some reason this is the only photo i've taken of Krabbi...oh well...it was really nice! Took this photo because i decided to be brave and actually sampled the insects- weren't too bad, had one witchety grub type thing and one insect with wings...yummy!


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb