Xmas Time in Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
January 6th 2008
Published: January 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Having left the organisation side of me back in London when i left and therefore having made no preparations for xmas/new years etc.. I arrived in Phuket and not Ko Pangnan (or however you spell it) as originally planned for xmas eve...

Spent xmas eve day on the beach which was bizarre to say the least when compared to the last 26 being probably wrapped up in scarves and gloves...as a result i keep having my eureka/hyper moments...basically just when i have a realisation that i'm not sitting at my desk and am on another continent in sun i have the need to laugh/giggle/shout...its amazing...plus think i'm pretty much delirious at the moment...as haven't really slept since i left Africa...at first i thought it was jet lag, now maybe its just the excitement, i don't know? but currently i''m living off 2-3 hours sleep a night and still i have a ridiculous amount of energy...i don't know how my friends haven't killed me yet as they will be knackered from the night before and i'm bounding around...i'd kill me!

So yip, xmas eve was spent on a beach near Phuket, walking, swimming, sunbathing and then for dinner we decided
Beach in PhuketBeach in PhuketBeach in Phuket

pretty nice way to spend xmas...although don't think the beaches in Phuket are a touch on Africa
to splash out and go for a fancy meal in a Thai restaurant...was extremely good food but a far cry from the traditional roast turkey and all the trimmings! We all drank in xmas day together and had a few more back at the hostel...
Christmas Day was definitely as far from the usual as possible, after my standard 2 hours sleep (I was still knackered but got up as didn't want to think i was missing out on anything- everyone else was still in bed but i couldn't get back to sleep 😞 ). Consumed my one xmas pressie of ferrero roche (yummy) and then went about town and had a "sorting"day...Bought my 5th pair of sunglasses since starting travelling just 3 months ago- i am ridiculous and lose them/break them all the time (thank god they only cost me $2/3 a time!)
In the evening felt like i was committing a cardinal sin going out in Patong on religious holiday (and i'm not even christian!), very seedy place with fat europeans hooked up with Thai girls/boys (who knows?!), & saw a dodgy show - no need for details...... that was interesting to say the least- and definitely NOT my standard night in on christmas day. After exiting there we carried on drinking and dancing the night away in more "normal" establishments We all had an extremely expensive/but good night out - who knows what time we stumbled home after copious amounts of beer/vodka/whiskey....and more pole dancing (what is it about being drunk and thinking you can dance???)

Boxing Day slightly closer to the standard fair...had a lazy morning watching movies and went to the memorial for the Tsunami...then watched a local footie match (the commentator was cool!) followed by some more drinks in evening and packing up again to move on to Phi Phi...


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Xmas Eve DinnerXmas Eve Dinner
Xmas Eve Dinner

Dinner with the gang been travelling through SE Asia with so far...
xmas dinnerxmas dinner
xmas dinner

love pineapple fried rice!
Sunglasses shoppingSunglasses shopping
Sunglasses shopping

...in case you were wondering, these aren't the ones i bought!
and another nice bar!and another nice bar!
and another nice bar!

are you getting the idea of what Patong is like now??


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb