Koh Phi Phi (Still here :D) - see update below!!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
August 23rd 2007
Published: August 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hippies BarHippies BarHippies Bar

Night out with the neighbours Kate and Katie at hippies bar across the path
Hey all, (skip to below for iccle update from 27th august)
we are far too relaxed to write this blog here.... so the photo's will have to give the jist til another day... tis more of the same tho, sun, swimming pool, relaxing walks, lovely sunsets, cheap beer, and lovely grub... and a nice lil boat trip yesterday, as u'll see from photos. And we made friends with the neighbours!!!

Having a ball, lots of relaxing.... making a plan to head on some time next week... have still a cooking course to do... and we do have 4.5 months in asia so we're not a hurry!!!

We promise, a longer blog next time!

Miss u all!

x
paul and elaine

27th august update

Hey all,

since i last wrote - exactly that time, as paul said he felt unwell and left internet cafe) paul was struck down with a bout of dengue fever..(also known as bonecrusher fever). he had a fever, pains and aches headache etc for aboot 2 days whereby i nursed him, and fed him and kept him in fluids...lots of rehydration sachets from pharmacy and a good oul thermometer came in
Hippies, another fire showHippies, another fire showHippies, another fire show

Hippies bar celebrate the half moon
very handy (thought it might be a flu or dengue so stuck to paracetemol) then had a little day of betterment on sat whereby temp went down and he managed to come outside bedroom for a very short while, and we thought he was getting better... then sunday temp up again and some vomiting, so i got onto insurance and went down the far end of island to investigate medical clinic and see was there a doctor on the island etc. They said bring him over, had 1 doctor and 2 or so nurses.. i said he was too weak, so they fixed me up with some transport. Now this island here has only paths and dirt tracks, u get around by taxi longtail boat and there is a handful of motorbikes for deliveries etc... Well the 'ambulance' was one of those bikes with a little side car... they brought me back to get him... found wrapped round loo, very relieved to be getting seen too... Have to say amidst the fever and nausea there was a hidden smirk there and a twinkle in his eyes at the treat of the motorbike transport round the island!

some blood tests
Kate and KatieKate and KatieKate and Katie

These are our next door neighbours on phi phi... kate from yorkshire, teacher, and katie from armagh, doctor in training! both travelling alone, and hooked up together! (not romantically)
and nursing check up later, doctor initially thought it was malaria!!! - and us with 10 million antimalarial tablets for when we might get to a 'malarial zone' - of which phi phi and bangkok aren't recognised! but then fever pattern didnt match it so they said flu or dengue... said his blood pressure v. low and blood platelets low too... sent home with anti nausea tablets and more paracetomol and told to keep up fluids and foods if he could!! And come back to clinic tommorrow.

Anyhoo, Cue today... temp down and a fine rash appeared all over him... but wont go to clinic straight away cos he's hungry for cornflakes and fruit!! little stroll there and big smiling doctor nods and shows all the nurses.. yes dengue fever, yes u healthy now, 2 more days, itchy itchy, more rest, tablet for itch.. better better!!!

And sure twasnt long til he was in pool greeting all the neighbours (among whom we've had 1 trainee doc and 1 nurse) who had come to know him as ' the sick dude'.

so we've had a rough few days, paul being sick, and me worrying.. but all better now... ready for our next adventure... gonna take 5 days for recovery here anyhoo, (and to make sure i dont have a bout - (in case any mozzie's that bit him - in our room possibly- took a bite outa me too while he was sick)

The weathers still lovely and its still paradise here... and still have to do a cooking course and a sunset cruise...... photos to follow...

Wanted to sneak a picture of 'ambulance' bike today but paul thought it inappropriate :p

Well, hope yee are all well and healthy!! And enjoying our blog... i'm sure our abilities at written composition will be fine tuned over the course of things, Keep in touch!!!!
x


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Boat tripBoat trip
Boat trip

Sitting on deck enjoying the sun on the way to Phi Phi Leh (island where maya beach is, flim location for "The Beach")
Elaine Snorkling Elaine Snorkling
Elaine Snorkling

Checking out was is below on Phi Phi Leh, had to swim to rocks and then climb through hole in rocks to get to maya bay, bit trecherous!
Paul Monkey BeachPaul Monkey Beach
Paul Monkey Beach

Had to swim ashore from the green boat in the background
Monkey ButlerMonkey Butler
Monkey Butler

After Phi Phi Leh, sailed to monkey beach and swam ashore to meet the monkeys
Elaine kayakElaine kayak
Elaine kayak

Elaines contribution to Kayaking!(bit of a posueur methinks!!!)
Paul KayakPaul Kayak
Paul Kayak

Tyring to drag elaine ashore
Bamboo IslandBamboo Island
Bamboo Island

Headed out to bamboo Island a conservation park just off Koh Phi Phi, again had to swim ashore, sheeesh ...getting tired now!
Paul SnorklingPaul Snorkling
Paul Snorkling

Snokling around Hat Rae Lai beach


23rd August 2007

Get a job ya bum.
27th August 2007

Sorry to hear you were sick Paul but hey its tough being on holidays for months on end!
27th August 2007

!
Glad to hear ur better Paul! Scary stuff! Luckily Elaine didnt get it (well lets touch wood).. And Elaine the most accident prone ever?! what can I say, the spell must be broken..two broken arms and one broken leg later! x
27th August 2007

Indiana Paulaine
Ye do not have to do the full adventure bit, robbed, dengi fever, what else - time to re-read the travel book " travelling in Asia - do not carry organ transplant donor cards and other good advice"
28th August 2007

Hiya
Looks great lads! Sun has managed to shine (sorta) in Ireland a bit this week, but that weather looks a lot better!
29th August 2007

urgh very jealous!!!!
WOW I hate you guys looks brillaint...
19th April 2008

wicked
hey this amir from hippies bar.....im the mc.... i like wat you did to this web....is wicked....

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb