Full Moon Party - Nov '09


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
November 3rd 2009
Published: November 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Fun or Foolish? 49 secs
To skip over the boring bits this is how we got to Ko Pha-ngan from the 4000 Islands in the south of Laos. We left 4000 Islands on Tuesday morning by boat, then mini van, tuk-tuk and bus to Vientiane. Then we took a public bus to the border of Thailand. Then another across the border and a tuk-tuk to the train station. Then an over night train to Bangkok and that night another over-night train to Surat Thani. Then bus and a ferry to Ko Pha-ngan. So that’s 3 buses, 2 tuk-tuk, 2 train’s, 2 boats and 1 mini-van. We arrived Saturday afternoon. Simple as that. In that time we had one night in Vientiane. It seems like a nice city with plenty of good restaurants and café’s. We also had a day to kill in Bangkok. I got a haircut, (this time by a women) and Michelle got a massage. We went to my favourite shop. Boots. (That’s me being sarcastic by the way.) I hate that shop. We pop in for one thing and we leave with a shopping bag full. Deet for the mozzie’s, sun cream, toothpaste, shower gel. Soon your €20 lighter and wishing Boot’s had Asian price’s rather than European prices. We also had an unfortunate incident. Someone went through Michelle’s bag while it was stored under the bus. All the stuff she had at the bottom of her bag for a long time was suddenly at the top. The only thing they took was her photo album of all her friends and family. She was upset about it but we will be passing that way again and we will be having ‘words’ with the company. Also the rain protector that covers her rucksack was inside out when we got off the bus. The bus driver was flinging all the bags out of bus shouting ‘go quick, boat leaves now’. In hindsight we should have checked the bag after realising the cover was inside out. We knew Michelle had nothing of any money value in the bag, so we just got on the boat. Anything worth stealing they would have to take it directly off us. And just let them try!

Our reason for going to the Full Moon party on Ko Pha-ngan was to meet up with our friends Cathal and Meave who were on holidays in Thailand. We got there before them and booked two rooms in a nice resort with a pool and ocean view. They unfortunately didn’t make it that night as they were told the usual lies from touts and ended up on the island next to it. They were promised they would be brought direct to Ko Pha-ngan and in the end it was Ko Samui. What kind of low life would put some one on a wrong island. Scum, I think. When they did arrive the next morning we had breakfast and then a swim beside the pool before the sun worshiper/heroes woke up and took over.

Ko Pha-ngan is full of heroes. You know the type. They generally walk around topless for the day and have a swagger like they’re the business. Their loud, obnoxious, arrogant and have no respect for local customs. They are egotistical, generally musclely and from probably every country in the world, although 99% of them are from 2 countries, which will remain unnamed!! Oh, they all wear the same stupid generic hat that every man and his dog is wearing. The hat, (I’m not sure what its called) will go down in history the same way Ugg boots will. Embarrassing. I have decided to coin a new phrase for ‘heroes’ and call them Enrique’s. As in Enrique Iglesias. ‘I can be your hero baby’!

Anyway, enough about them. We had a few drinks on the night before the party. We had good fun, chatting and dancing (boy can Cathal move!) and watching the fire shows. We went home early so as not to ruin the big night the next day. We got the to the pool early before the usual crowd came and took over. We had lunch that afternoon before having a siesta and resting for the big night ahead. Cathal and Meave bought some body paint (essential for a Full Moon Party) and we covered ourselves in Irish Flags and other designs before heading out. You can get painted on the beach but it is about 10 times the price. For those that don’t know what a full moon party is, this is the low down. Every Full moon 1000’s and sometimes 10,000’s gather on the beach and have a great big party. There are fire shows and each bar pumps out different types of music. Everyone has face paint or some type of fluorescent thing attached to them. Drink is cheap and comes in buckets. The party can last well into the next day before it ends. We made it to 3am before the night took its toll! The full moon is definitely worth a visit and we might just return to it next month!

Next day we took a boat to Ko Samui with Cathal and Meave. The sea was choppy and there were a few if not all who didn’t enjoy the trip. I was glad when we arrived and soon we were in a mini van to where we wanted to go. Cathal and Meave had booked into a really nice plush resort. They also gave us a present of a room there too. It would have been way out of our price range and was a very nice and appreciated gesture. Their room had there own private pool and was as luxurious as you would find. Our room had a huge balcony, bathroom and room. After checking in a guy arrived at the room with a complementary bowl of fruit.

The next day we were meant to get a boat to the main land and start our journey back to Cambodia. When we woke up it was stormy outside and with the luxury we had we decided to stay. We got a late check out and moved across the road to a cheaper but still nice hotel. Cathal rented a jeep for the day and we drove around the island visiting waterfalls. We also went in search of mango and sticky rice, which we found in Tesco of all places! For those who’ve never had it, you don’t know what you are missing. We had planned the next day to start our journey but all the train tickets were booked up. We made a quick dash to the airport and booked a cheap flight to Bangkok for the next morning. This would get us back on track time wise. Cathal and Meave were booked on the same flight the next morning and we would be parting ways then. We had one last big meal that night and a few drinks. The early flight the next morning was as easy as they come. A 45min flight instead of a 18hr journey to Bangkok. We were secretly happy we were flying! We were sad to say goodbye to Cathal and Meave and for ever grateful to them for looking after us on many occasions.

Next up was the hard part. We had just spent the last we living it up in luxury and eating in nice places. It was more like a holiday than travelling. Now we had to return to handling touts and tuk-tuk drivers and everyone else who thinks we are mobile ATM’s. The joy’s of travelling!

In a bit. DH

Song of the blog: Guns 'n' Roses - Sweet Child O'Mine

p.s. Thanks again to Cathal & Meave


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



10th November 2009

Shelly you look gorgeous in these photos. Can't believe your beautiful book was nicked, what scummers! Also can't believe they have Boots and Tesco over there! Keep safe xx
11th November 2009

So, what is the secret of your success? If you have time, would you give us some tips and tricks. http://www.travelblog.org/Forum/Threads/21363-1.html
11th November 2009

Yeah, fun or foolish? Everytime, I see somthing like your video, I wonder if that is real fire. Is it? Doesnt it cause horrible burns?
12th November 2009

It's real fire I'm afraid. People do get very bad burns at the full moon party. I'd put it down to foolishness!
13th November 2009

Thanks for the info Darren. :)
13th November 2009

No problem!

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb