Thailand 3


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
January 6th 2009
Published: February 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Railay

This was the place with The beautiful sunset.
After another couple of short rides (hopping from one boat to the next) we landed one of the most beautiful beaches in Krabi. Unfortunately we had to stay on the next beach, a muddy, smelly, but charming mangrove place. In the end, this turned out to be the best resort we had stayed at so far! It even had a pool! And free breakfast!
On our arrival, while we were walking along the path to get to our resort, we were welcomed by a curious furry black gibbon with white rings around it’s eyes (thats a black monkey).
Then Amanda got a high fever, a headache, nausea and some other annoying symptoms. We’re still not sure if it was from the water she drank, some food she ate, or just all of it put together. On the day that Amanda’s symptoms started we climbed up a cliff through rocks and roots, to get up to this amazing viewpoint, and to go to a hidden lagoon (which required even more strength, being the reason why only Gonzalo managed to get there). The lagoon turned out to be this 80 meters diameter full of mud, with a patch of blue sky, surrounded by the most amazing cliffs in the middle of a hill. And as it couldn’t be any other way, it was muddy only because nobody told us that it was a tide affected lagoon! So we can only guess it was really impressive, but it was certainly not a great view what Gonzalo saw after almost 40 meters down of rock climbing.
On that same night, with Amanda’s ever increasing fever (but at that stage we still thought her symptoms could just be harmless sun stroke), we saw one of the most beautiful sunsets, as we sat on the Bar’s straw mats that they laid down on the beach with lamps, accompanied with two iced cold beers.

Railay is full of rock climbers, white sandy beaches, a whole forest of palm trees and walks through small caves. Lets not forget the shaggy bars made from wood and bamboo advertising snake shows and Thai boxing.

After a couple of nights we had to press on, despite Amanda being in her worst stage of fever and nausea, to be on our way for our journey to Ko Pha Ngan. The journey included a short Longboat ride, a short mini-bus ride, a long bus ride then a very drawn out long night-boat ride. Wow, it was incredibly uncomfortable but it didn’t matter because of excitement of our first sleep on a night boat. We slept on narrow thin matresses squashed up on the floor with 70 others. But hey!

The next day, Amanda had recovered, and it’s the 10th - the Full Moon Party! The reason we were there in the first place. We were at the main big beach with a lot of other people, sipping our drinks from buckets all night long! 500 meters of sand and partying people, lights and fluorescent body paintings, and full view of people peeing on the sea. Beautiful!

In a few days we made our way back to Bangkok. We managed to squeeze in a visit to see the famous Siam Square, Bangkok’s shopping area, it was great, a bunch of gigantic malls all piled up into a 200 square meter area. We liked strolling around, hanging in the food court mostly and since we didn’t have much money we just ended up buying some pens and a mini calculator! haha

Next: Hong Kong




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Guess what's on the can?Guess what's on the can?
Guess what's on the can?

Coca Cola Thai version
A small treeA small tree
A small tree

And Amanda standing next to it
More monkeys on RailayMore monkeys on Railay
More monkeys on Railay

They are eveywere! (to Amanda's fascination)


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb