Ko Pha Ngan- Half Moon Party!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
December 21st 2008
Published: January 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone! Before you start reading a little bit about Ko Pha Ngan, I want you guys to know the theme of our motivation for this whole Thailand trip. This music video, and song, by Empire of the Sun sums it up perfectly 😊 Everyone morning (and night) we would blast this song to get us pumped up! Its an amazing song and I'm obsessed with it! It was also my inspiration for my face paint for the Half Moon Party... but as Claire will tell you, it kinda got a little crazy and turned out to look more like a crazy Amazon women, or like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Hahahaha either way, I loved it!

Here is the video, CHECK IT OUT 😉


So, Ko Pha Ngan (or Koh Phangan) is an island in the Gulf of Thailand in South East Thailand. It's famous for its full moon party at Haad Rin Beach (world's biggest monthly beach party), and as a backpackers destination. Ko Pha Ngan has two sister islands: the larger Ko Samui to the south and the smaller Ko Tao to the north. The name of Ko Pha Ngan comes from the word 'Ngan', the southern dialect meaning 'sand bar', for there are many sand bars offshore around the island.


As my friend Wikipedia says, Druggies everywhere still flock to the world's biggest beach party every month. The music from the multiple sound systems is made up mostly of electronic styles such as Psytrance, house, techno and drum & bass and a predominantly youthful crowd dance 'til dawn on party nights. It has been reported that western tourists have been victims of unprovoked assaults by gangs on a number of occasions, particularly around the time of the full moon parties late at night in the vicinity of bars in Haad Rin. Other events such as the Half Moon Party and Black Moon Party also attract large crowds. Despite the special titles the events on the beach are identical every single night. (This is true, fire shows and such every night).

More later 😊 Thankx to Bonnie and Claire for making this possible... without them. I would have never gone to the Half Moon Party by myself!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sleeper BoatSleeper Boat
Sleeper Boat

Bonnie introduced me to one of my all time favorite movies this night, SURFS UP! (its up there with Finding Nemo)
Sleeper BoatSleeper Boat
Sleeper Boat

Have you ever seen the classic movie, The Black Stallion? Well in the begining of the movie he is on this crazy over night boat, that eventually goes down in a ball of fire... That is basicaly the boat I was on, minus the fire :)
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

Claire was being such a cute big sister painting Bonnie's little face :)
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

AND THE JUNGLE PARTY BEGINS!
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

Within min. of us entering, we were escorted to the DJ booth (probably because our face paint DOMINATED everyone else's) where we danced our butt's off... with an awesome view of the whole party!
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

Some drunky. Who dropped my camera. He did actually need help... HHAHAhahaa
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

Dirty boys.
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

I was very happy at this point of the night :)
2nd shirt...2nd shirt...
2nd shirt...

This one I almost got to keep :) It was a button down. I really like it. But last min he changed his mind and got grumpy about it. hahaa
3rd shirt...3rd shirt...
3rd shirt...

Bonnie tried to buy this off of the guy for me at 7am... but he wouldn't budge. But did give us a lift home.
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

Rrrawww
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

Still going strong...
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

MOre drunkies
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

This is the Mayor of the island who kept trying to buy Claire off of Bonnie and I. We almost sold her, he said she is the perfect wife for him!
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

Uhhh... this couple asked to have a picture with us. So I thought they were worth putting up on the blog :) hahaa
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

Dancin it UPPPP! :)
Half Moon PartyHalf Moon Party
Half Moon Party

Welcome to the Half Moon Party.
Half MoonHalf Moon
Half Moon

A perfect way to end my night. A DOG!


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb