Back to Ko Lanta


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
August 18th 2010
Published: September 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


18.8.10 Back to Ko-Lanta



Using Local transport this time we made it to Lanta both cheaply and quickly. Again bunking down at Graemes’. We spent the next five days enjoying the fruits of the island while installing the electrics, painting the walls and clearing the site. After seeing Mat (Ae’s brother) arrive with a 2kg Monk fish I managed to convince him I really needed to go fishing. We spent an extended afternoon spinning off the rocky point. 2 large barracuda were caught though we never managed to land one. Hearts pumping we watched the second break the line and disappear with our last lure. Several cigarettes and a lot of swearing later we drove like mad men through the coconut groves, bursting a tyre on route. This was swiftly changed by a kind Muslim man in around 30 seconds as being Ramadan he was keen to get home to eat.

Whilst Guy was getting up to boy’s stuff Ae and I took a day trip to a large town on the mainland. In between running errands we treated ourselves to several tasty roadsides snacks, Ae ordered and I ate....the perfect combo. On the return journey I took the wheel for the 3 hour mission, Thais drive on the left, so it should’ve been a breeze, but nothing prepares you for dogs, mopeds, and even cows randomly crossing your path ignoring all the rules of the road!!! With one or two wrong turns (signs were tricky!) we made it safely back home before dark.

I was lucky enough to join Ae on one of her shopping trips to the local night market. Not being able to identify half of the veggies, fish and food on offer. Ae took on the selection and negotiation, while I was happy to carry the bags and enquire what the hell we were purchasing. Durians, funny looking shell fish, and water lilys, prawns and she was ready to produce another amazing meal. Needless to say our waistlines are at last expanding.
While in Lanta we managed to find out that Ling and Annie (The Malaysian couple we trekked with in Nepal) were heading for Cambodia. With our Thai Visas drawing to an end (forcing us to leave the country and re-enter) we decided to move fast and join them in Siem Reap, Cambodia.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



4th September 2010

Incredible pictures at sunset ..........

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb