Even the rain can't rid us of the stains


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
April 14th 2007
Published: April 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Patong we headed to Phuket Town, not much to see, not much to do but stayed in a quality backpackers enclave. The first people we met who werent cockneys turned out to live in Newcastle... and even resided at Henderson Hall! Small world. We had an Italian meal at a swanky restaurant that night and couldnt afford a drink, so the waitress took pity and gave us some water. The next morning, very early rise (8am!), we planned to get a ferry from Phuket to Ko Phi Phi, then onwards to Ko Lanta... unbeknown to us the trip actually involved 4 different mini buses and 2 ferries. The 4hour trip turned into a 7hour onslaught! Arriving at our accomodation, which from the road looked rather downtrodden, we were incredibly suprised to find a nice family run place directly on the beach, with the Bomp Bar right next door. A chilled establishment with reggae, deck chairs, candles and fire shows to while the night on the shore away! The first night we got incredibly inebriated on buckets of Mai Tai and Mae Kong whisky and coke, so on just a tenner darren was feeling rather ill while alex was still dancing the night away under the nightsky! We made friends with the family and inparticular the 18yr old girl who looks very much like an 18year old boy. The beach is typically picturesque, white sandy shores, clear blue sea and very big waves that beat the shit (sorry grandmas) out of Wet and Wilds wave pool! Spending the days out in the sun, whiling away the hours reading literary horror classics and getting more and more concerned about India. Quiet night on the 2nd night (12th), the heavy drinking the night before had taken its toll, much to the dismay of our local friend, as we missed our drinking appointment. However there was a crazy lightening show that kind of freaked us out when walking along the deserted beach, and very heavy rain (similar to the carribean). Read above about during the day on the 13th, same same, not different. Last night we ventured further down the beach than we had done before (its only a small beach), had a meal with a massive amount of insects (due to the rain the previous night), and watched the gheckos and tree frogs eat the amazing amount of mosquitos on our veranda (4pound 30 a night!). We then headed to the first bar in which we had to take shelter as the force of mother nature was felt once again. Here we sat at the bar, and met some more Brits, who turned out to be West Moors finest! Then arrived Fitz and Phillip, a walking cabaret show. 2 retired husbands from Amsterdam, with rather camp qualities and a taste for bottles of scotch, "daaaarling". After too many Mae Kongs, including Fitz and Phillip's unprecedented generosity, we ended up back at the bucket place, again dancing to reggae... alone... in the sea. Although this time it was Alex who was carried back. During today, same same, not different. About to head out for food and merriment... Photos of Ko Lanta still to come, watch this space.

Advertisement



15th April 2007

stains in the rain
so nice to hear from you yesterday, everybody from work sends love to you both. you should have enough malaria tablets for both of you as i put extra in. weather really nice today off out this afternoon (happy hour jesmond) will have a mai tai just to see what i am missing. xxxx
17th April 2007

helloo derran and alex, sounds like the thailand way of life is scarily suited to you both, although be wary of the fatal 'large quantities of alcahol and ladyboys' combination (ooh the regrets!) its occured to me that your pretty much doing what you do in newcastle, drinking and being chatted up by men- hee hee. am also loving the new look, make sure you put plentiful amounts of suntan lotion on yer heeds.ninaxx

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb